Hello from Newfoundland

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi my wife and I moved out of the city last year and started our homestead with our 3 dogs and 2 cats. We have since added chickens and turkeys and just added 3 pygmy goats. We have been renovating our cabin and added a small solar system that we plan to eventually expand to hopefully get fully off the grid. I am interested is also adding a wind turbine and possibly a water turbine. We will be expanding our vegetable garden this year and building a greenhouse.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi there! Welcome, from Texas. Sounds like ya'll have a good start. Can't wait to hear more of your story as it unfolds for you. Oh.... by the way... we love pictures!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome! An off grid set up like you're planning sounds wonderful. Please keep us posted as you progress and as frustratedearthmother said, we love pics! :)

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome from Washington State.

What type of planting climate do you have there?
We are zone 5. Our climate is cold and wet. Right now the frost is just leaving the ground so everywhere is mud, mud and more mud lol. We can have all 4 seasons in one day. We often say if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes and it will change. So the greenhouse will be a great addition for us.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome! An off grid set up like you're planning sounds wonderful. Please keep us posted as you progress and as frustratedearthmother said, we love pics! :)
Some quick pics.

First load of wood that will be milled for the greenhouse
20190406_125246.jpg

Our newest additions. Max on the left, missy on the right and marty in the back
20190415_102452.jpg
Ready and waiting for the greenhouse
20190415_221736.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We are zone 5. Our climate is cold and wet. Right now the frost is just leaving the ground so everywhere is mud, mud and more mud lol. We can have all 4 seasons in one day. We often say if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes and it will change. So the greenhouse will be a great addition for us.
Sounds like Ireland! And we have the same saying about our weather, which is absolutely divine at the moment. We're enjoying it while it lasts! lol

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like Ireland! And we have the same saying about our weather, which is absolutely divine at the moment. We're enjoying it while it lasts! lol
Very similar to Ireland. Even the landscape looks similar. Many newfoundlanders including myself are of Irish descent.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome! I am zone 4b/5a so I'm about the same as you. I used to work with a gentleman from Newfoundland, he was a character and had great stories (you never know which were true, lol) looking forward to hearing more about your homestead!