Hello from Quebec! I'm Mart.

Mart

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the nice words of welcome.

so lucky said:
Hi Mart! Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will have a lot of interesting experiences to share. It soiunds like you are really living the SS life! I am a newly-retired empty-nester who has only begun my SS journey in the last two years. What has been most difficult for you to change, in becoming self-sufficient?
I think the hardest thing for me is dealing with the "knowing", which I didn't do so much while living the city life, working full time. I didn't know and didn't care about the quality of the food from the store, about the state of the environment, about world events, about the safety of my family is a quickly degrading planet. Now I make choices on a daily basis based on that knowledge. We are working real hard as a family to disconnect ourselves from the grid and try to produce our own stuff as much as possible while being sustainable.

Sometimes I wish I could go back to that laid back lifestyle of not caring. Just building credit and planning my yearly 2 weeks vacations. But I don't regret for that long. Once you "know" you can't "un-know".

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know how you feel.....
I remember going to the grocery store & just chucking stuff into the cart. Now that I know what happens to the food I have to be really careful.
Can't wait for the day when I don't have to go to the grocery at all!