Hello from Southern Illinois

whysprs

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have been busy of sorts and put everything on a side track. Started a new business so been trying to get that going along with my handyman service. As an update that I hadnt talked about was in 2019, we lost homestead we was trying so hard to keep afloat. I had gotten hurt at work in 2017 and messed up my leg pretty bad, the doctors said i would probably not be able to walk for over a year. I proved them wrong and was walking in early 2018, but wasnt able to do the work I was doing anymore because it was just too hard on me since it had been several months since I had actually been doing the heavy work. Instead I started the handyman business as a job instead of a side gig to keep paying the bills, untill it didnt. Had a customer refuse to pay for work and missed a payment on the property and they booted us. Anyways, so we decided we would just go nomadic and do some of our other work which was merchandising which we could do anywhere, I built us a camper aka micro house on wheels and then covid hit. In 2021 my nephew was taking care of my elderly mom and he was hut by a car and killed in front if her house, so we have since been dry docked in front of her house and taking care of her.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have certainly had your rough times. But now you are taking care of your Mom and that is the right thing to do. I’m glad you are back on here. Is there a place at your mom’s house for a small garden?

whysprs

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have been container gardening because the solid here is really bad, cant grow anything but weeds mostly in it, everything this year in miniature, guessing the pots and totes wasnt big enough. Lots of buildings that ive been tearing down. Lots of gravel which is good for the pineapple plant (its a form of chamomile)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have been container gardening because the solid here is really bad, cant grow anything but weeds mostly in it, everything this year in miniature, guessing the pots and totes wasnt big enough. Lots of buildings that ive been tearing down. Lots of gravel which is good for the pineapple plant (its a form of chamomile)

I have pineapple weed all over here. It smells pretty good.

I'd recommend a raised bed or two so you can add your own soil and it keeps plants out of water of you have flooding issues

whysprs

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thats kinda what we did, i picked up a bunch of flower pots from krogers after valentines day as well as we have some big totes, with these we poked holes about 1-2 in from the bottom so that they couldn't be flooded out from torrential rains or by overwatering.. the first year nothing would grow in them, this year i put things in them again and at least had a harvest even though it was all miniature. Yeah the pineapple plant is used exactly like chamomile and is actually considered such by the amish here locally.

Latest posts