Hello from southern ON, Canada!

Melody102

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I found this site through backyard chickens and wanted to introduce myself. I grew up in a town known for farming in Southern Ontario, then I moved to the big city for university and found myself raising quails on my apartment balcony! Thanks to a supportive fiancé I was also quickly crowding our living room with plants and our kitchen cupboards with my new love for fermented foods… well suddenly an opportunity opened up and we are now renting a 5acre farm back in the hometown I grew up in!

Now I’m trying to navigate living on a farm, sewing clothes, cooking, foraging, raising my quail, learning how to prune fruit trees and what the heck to do with all these pears 😆 while also balancing a Masters degree in education and working as a freelance behaviour therapist.

Let’s just say I’m a newbie with very full hands and loving every minute of it 💕 very glad to meet you all and look forward to learning from you.
Here’s a cute photo of some of my quail enjoying a nice splash pool on a hot summer’s day
3DEEBC5E-E200-4F86-AA68-B9F9042426E6.jpeg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hello and welcome to SS from mid-Michigan. i have no animals other than my worm buckets, but i always enjoy reading about the antics and whatever they are getting up to from people who do keep them. :)

Melody102

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi @Melody102 ! Your interests sound similar to mine! I'm in northern WI. My extended family owns a bit of land near Kenora, so ON is a special place for me. 💗
Very cool! Kenora is lovely so I can understand that. I keep seeing your name on a lot of the threads I’ve been reading, you post a lot and on so many cool topics I’m interested in!

Melody102

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
hello and welcome to SS from mid-Michigan. i have no animals other than my worm buckets, but i always enjoy reading about the antics and whatever they are getting up to from people who do keep them. :)
Thank you! and worms are pretty awesome too. I had a small worm bin in my apartment but look forward to setting up a proper compost situation now that I have the outdoor space

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you also have coturnix quail or a different variety?
I have Coturnix also. They don't seem to have any problems with the heat. Mine are all under a shed so out of direct sun so as long as they have water they do very well. They also did well in the very rare cold we had in February. We were in the single digits for a couple of nights and stayed below freezing for way too many days. I added some cardboard boxes to their pens and a lot of hay and they were fine.

Last edited: