Hello!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My understanding is that you can even propagate from a spore print. The Wine Caps have a purple spore print. I have an old print in my fridge. Wonder if it's still good? I've also heard that you can get mycelium generation from fresh mushrooms you buy at the grocer... but that may be old wive's tale. Might be worth experimenting with, though not an advantage regarding time investment vs. cost of buying a good spawn.

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just wish that growing button mushrooms didn't smell so bad.

There is the factory/farm down in Lacey at Mushroom Corner. It predates the town growing up around it. You smell that long before you get there. All that composting manure smell exactly like you'd imagine.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had read that morels are actually fairly easy to identify correctly, as their poisonous lookalike has solid stems while the morels have hollow ones. We don't forage for them as it is big business in this area and you are liable to get shot at if you "poach" someone's spot. I want to try the wine caps (King Stropharia in Fungi Perfecti) but not sure where to put them in our garden as it's in full sun and there's nowhere outside of the garden that is safe from the chickens. Maybe under the raspberries? Hardwood chips are hard to find here, we are almost exclusively pine and juniper in this area, so it will probably be straw and then common mulch. (just remembered that we have cottonwoods here, and they are a hardwood of sorts)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Get shot in eastern Oregon by mushroom hunters as well. We didn't even like camping during mushroom season. Dad always had his pistol on him. I picked down by the river in town on the school's property. The school owns a lot of land there and has left quite a bit to it's natural state.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Under the raspberries would be a great location. And, what ever you have for wood chips would most likely work just fine. Especially if they are aged. Look at the detritus (my big word for the day!) on the forest floor. Lots of rot going on there, and thriving fungi of all sorts!

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
👩‍🌾 Hello 2021 New folks, Good Morning and Welcome to The S.S. Family!:welcome 👩‍🌾

Latest posts