Hello!

NEWCOMER

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
So, technically speaking I am new but not new. I am on the site backyardherds.com as well under the same user name. I am currently working mushroom cultivation. Look forward to meet u all

Edit: I want to grow mushrooms (non magic) on a log outside

Last edited:

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Howdy and welcome newcomer. I've spoke to you on BYH. I'm mostly on or at least used to be on BYC. I've been wondering ALOT about how to grow mushrooms. I've found some pre planted logs in Burgess my seed/plant magazine, yet the shipping is the same as the log. Therefore I'm very curious about growing edible mushrooms. I have a corner in my garden that is to shady for any succesfull vegetables and mentioned to the wife the other day it would be perfect for mushrooms. One of the things I love in many variations and do not grow.
I'm all ears.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome!

There are places around here that sell spore and plugs for mushrooms. They grow well outdoors in my climate. I have a good spot under some trees that I've thought about using. Close enough to the pond for easy watering in summer. Shady enough that they will do well.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome!

There are places around here that sell spore and plugs for mushrooms. They grow well outdoors in my climate. I have a good spot under some trees that I've thought about using. Close enough to the pond for easy watering in summer. Shady enough that they will do well.
I was near there not long ago but now about 1,900 mls away. I don't know if they have them here or not. Not to say the don't just that I don't know.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wine cap is super easy. Preferred growing medium is hardwood chips, though they will grow in soft wood, and once established they will grow in any natural mulch. They can even grow in straw, though they won't establish for multi seasons in straw. I bought spawn about 4 years ago, put some in my garden, and in the orchard, and still get flushes of them now and then. They are great as companions in the garden if you use Back to Eden method. Fungi actually work symbiotically with plant root systems to increase nutrient uptake in the plants.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Anyone else finding that the edit function is not working on this site? Beware: if you expect mushrooms to establish in your garden.... you'll have to keep the chickens/ducks away from your shroom sites!!!