Help a sister out, please! (Operation~Find Sam a Friend!)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Free! That is a great idea! The girls all have to start out in English then they can pick western if they would like when they become better riders...however the shows are all in English. That is a fantastic idea!

Another idea:
When was at horse camp as a kid we got to paint the old white horse at the end of each week. We have a white horse too. :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My dd (13) just brought up a very valid point. What does Sam want to do? I know my dd would die if I planned a tea (no offense) or anything like that. she would just want to have a fire and a sleepover, bbq, etc. have things available if there is a lull, but other than that, leave it to the girls-they will take their own spin on it.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
My dd (13) just brought up a very valid point. What does Sam want to do? I know my dd would die if I planned a tea (no offense) or anything like that. she would just want to have a fire and a sleepover, bbq, etc. have things available if there is a lull, but other than that, leave it to the girls-they will take their own spin on it.
Good point! We talked about this all day today. She loves all the ideas...especially the pizza idea. That kid has a hollow leg, I swear! :lol: She really loves the idea of a mini tent city circling the fire pit, making s'mores etc. :) Does your dd want to come over? :D WBF, yours too! :)

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I asked my "consultants" (DD, just turned 14, and cousin, nearly 16) and they had two ideas. First, they thought Sam might like something like we have been planning: DD's birthday was Monday and all her friends were out of town, so we have been planning a "very merry un-birthday party" for her. It's going to be a tea/pizza/slumber party with an Alice in Wonderland theme -- cakes or cookies that say "eat me," drinks that say "drink me," tea with as many wacky teacups and teapots we can rustle up, etc. The kids can watch a couple of different versions of Alice in Wonderland at night. We may send the kids around the neighborhood for a photo scavenger hunt - take a phone/camera and take a picture of your group with a fire hydrant, a lawn flamingo, a flowering bush, an address with two 7's, etc. You may want to send the kids around the property rather than the neighborhood depending on how far apart things are there.

The second idea is something art related. According to DD "horse people" tend to be very artistic, and they might like an artsy project like a drawing or sculpting lesson, or playing on a pottery wheel. If the kids are all shy or don't know each other that well, something structured like this could break the ice a little. Party games would accomplish the same thing.

The camp out idea sounds fantastic too. I loved that kind of thing as a kid!

Good luck to you and Sam - I hope it works out for her! :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
When we had "Horseless Horse" kids in our 4-H group we did several activities they loved. The first was to make there own tye-dye T-shirts! Some of them put the name of the horse they used for lessons on the shirt and they turned out great.

COOK! Even though we were a horse group our kids loved to cook. How about a Make Your Own Pizza party? They could make the dough and then load up personal sized pizzas with their favorite toppings. You could even have them bring toppings to share.

Book swap. Many of these girls probably read horse books constantly - it might be fun to bring them and trade. Followed by a horse movie night. :cool:

Maggies Pop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So many great ideas! I can't wait to see what you guys do! I hope it turns out great and that your dd can find some good friends!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I think all of those are great ideas...I would love to do the camping thing, I think something simple is better....have things on hand in case they get bored and need something to do but if they are okay then don't force it on them. One of the things that made me crazy as a teen was my mother trying to keep us on a "schedule" of events at birthday parties. We would just get into doing one thing and she would make us stop and move on to something else so keep it going at their pace.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i love the idea of campfire, pizza, smores ect...generally free form it...

and mabe add a craft idea...
were grown ups but 4th of july weekend we whent to my brothers new friend (semi love interests) families house for dinner and she had us all making native american drums out of drum hoops and buffalo hide...probably a little more "advanced" given knives were involved, but ill tell you its a day even as an adult i wont forget any time soon...
theres plenty of native american craft its around for beading, lacing, friendship braclets ect...

and of course a good selection of fun but age apropriate music, mabe a movie, scary but not too scary is always good for camp outs...and let them take it where they want it to go...

Latest posts