help coloring my hair

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a "skunk stripe" for a long time also, in a dark ash brown head of hair. It gradually faded as the rest of my hair caught up with it. I have always liked my silvery hair, I was one of the lucky ones that grey well. I wouldn't have changed the color of my hair at any time for all the tea in china

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
better late than never...
I have used Mountain Rose Herbs henna hair dye before, and loved it.
https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/henna/profile
They have a lot of info on how the henna will react with your particular hair color, which is really helpful. I used a color called Sherry in the past, but it looks like they've changed their color scheme a little. I suppose I would go with red now over my medium brown hair. The color that I got before was a really lovely deep red color that looked pretty close to natural. Interestingly, my hair has retained quite a bit more red highlights than I had before, even after a year of having it in my hair. I just let it wash out naturally. I had a line in my hair for a while, but it wasn't terrible. They do say that henna will only cover about 10% of gray, though, so it isn't helpful if you've got a lot of gray that you're trying to cover. I'm thinking I'm going to do it again to my hair sometime soon. It was fun, and does help condition the hair. With the acidic water that we have it is really tough on my hair.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I started turning grey at 25. That was over 15 years ago. I used go color non stop. Until last year. I'm now in the Going Grey Gracefully crowd. No dye for almost a year.

I couldn't get good coverage at allon my greys. And any color only lasted a short time.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas?

Gina

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The only thing I know of will turn your hair black, and that's walnut.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was also a premature grey and dyed my hair for 40 years or something. I tried all the natural stuff, but not walnut. I never did get any lasting results, but I wasn't dumping strong coffee on my hair daily. I finally decided it wasn't worth the hassle.
So I have been grey for 2 years. Most of the time I'm okay with it.

Fanciful (Roux) is a vegetable based washout color that you get from beauty supply stores. Walmart used to have a few, don't know if they still carry any.
Since you are naturally light brown, what about doing blond streaks or highlights? If you use the crappy plastic caps in the home kits, you just pull through the hair you're going to color. Still damaging some hair, but at least the bleach is not on your scalp and not on all your hair. You should be able to go longer in between colorings and the grey should blend in well.

My blond friend told me that blonds never go grey, they just get lighter blond. :)

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, for now I had blonde highlights added to help cover the gray. I will most likely try the henna in the future.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hear ya on the redhead issue! When I was red my DH referred to me as "sassy" and he was right, lol! I might have to go red again!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: I hear ya all! I was naturally reddish brown, so of course, when I was coloring, it was more reddish brown...more red than brown. With some experimenting, one time I looked like a calico cat, another time like a redwood fence with a bad stain job. But I still love red. Except if you're 70 years old and still wearing the same color and style from 40 years ago. That kind of freaks me out. :clap