help coloring my hair

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My son dyed his hair once. I forget what color he was aiming for, but he ended up pink! :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some red screams DYED from across the room. Like the 70 year olds that sport that bright red awful hairstyles. The good thing about being a redhead for 25 years is the attitude has stayed with me, even though it is snow white now.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BTW, my DIL uses sharpie pens to add highlights to her hair. Works very well. But then, she's a natural dark blond. Don't know if it would work for darker hair.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Isn't it interesting that people react to you differently if you have something a little odd going on? Like it gives them permission to talk to you and be friendly. Too bad we feel like we need permission to be friendly to each other!

toptenstuff431

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
I'm in cosmetology and my friend wants to color her hair. We already know her natural level and the desired level but she's colored it a level darker before (shes a natural medium brownish) so there's a level lighter regrowth but you can barely tell. If we color her hair a darker brown will it come out messed up or in different tones or should I skip the regrowth until the end and go back and apply color to the regrowth once mid strand and ends are finished? Or can i just do it all at once since it's darker? I just don't want her roots to come out darker. & will this be hard to maintain with highlights as well?

jammyrose

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
natural way to color hair is by using henna, no side effects and no ammonia.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I realize that the original post is almost a year old, but of course I feel I have to add my two cents worth. :hide
I have been having luck using a rinse of Chamomile and Turmeric steeped into a strong tea. I am a natural strawberry blond and I am going grey. I tried just Chamomile but the color was a touch light, so I added a bit Turmeric to make it a little darker and more yellow.
My issue now is the hard water in our house is making my hair brassy.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts on this topic. After all this time I am at the point of thinking like you Bee.
I have been using henna for the last 6 months or so and am not happy with it either.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mostly, my sisters all dye their hair, my mom too. My youngest sister doesn't, she has had a neat-o grey streak in her hair since high school and that is it and she is now in her mid 40's. She has a really pretty chestnut color to her hair.
I dye because I like the little bit of brightness; without the tea coloring, it is so flat and drab looking. I don't wear makeup or anything, I just like that little bit of yellow.