help,!! company coming, huge pork loin , oh no what do I do?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How big is "huge"? And how many guests are coming? I would second the roasting suggestion from meriruka, but if the roast is very large, and the number of guests not very high I would definitely cut it down to size, and save the rest for another time. Normally I keep our meat portion size at about 1/4# per person, but for guests I ere on the large size (because nothing is worse than not having enough if people want seconds), so I would allow at least 1/2# per person, with a minimum roast size of 3# (because roasting works better, IMO, with larger pieces of meat). Cut the remainder into useful sizes for your family, before cooking, and freeze them. And if you have much of the roast leftover, come back here; I'm sure there will be lots of suggestions as to how to use it up :lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Oh, traditionally I did two layers of foil, one of brown paper bag, and thne sealed again with foil.
Ldychef2k - i've been meaning to ask you this - i saw the brown paper bag thing before... but i've got to know.... how'd you keep from burning your house down!?!?!? really?? it works??? no firemen??

meriruka - ahh-haa on the mustard.. good thought! i do 'fat up' and put the roast directly ON the veggies... they makes a kind of rack so the bottom doesnt over brown. and the veggies under are perfect for the next day's hash.
;-)

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I guess it's because no paper is exposed to flame. It is sandwiched between layers of foil and there is no air available to complete the trinity necessary for flame (heat, fuel, air). I only say this with even the smallest bit of assurance because I actually have a cardboard box oven I use when we go camping. It's basically a box sealed in foil, placed over nine briquettes which have burned to gray (the formula for 350 degrees), with a small rack on tin cans suspended five or so inches above the flame, and a cake or cornbread or biscuits baking on the rack. If I get a small tear in the box, I patch it with foil and it has worked time and time again. Does that make sense? I tend to put my teacher hat on WAY to frequently.

ohiofarmgirl said:
Oh, traditionally I did two layers of foil, one of brown paper bag, and thne sealed again with foil.
Ldychef2k - i've been meaning to ask you this - i saw the brown paper bag thing before... but i've got to know.... how'd you keep from burning your house down!?!?!? really?? it works??? no firemen??

meriruka - ahh-haa on the mustard.. good thought! i do 'fat up' and put the roast directly ON the veggies... they makes a kind of rack so the bottom doesnt over brown. and the veggies under are perfect for the next day's hash.
;-)