Help decorate SS for Halloween!

homestead holdout

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you're familiar with Dave Mathews Band.....

6498_picture_046.jpg

My DBoyfriend worked for 3 hours on it!!

6498_picture_050.jpg

Yeah Kitty, you're not scarey....
6498_picture_051.jpg

My spooky kitty.....
6498_picture_468.jpg

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden, Thanks for the compliment. I used to get really carried away carving pumkins. But in recent years it has just been the two of us. We used to have pumkin carving parties, those were fun.
I'll have to try and find the pictures of some of the ones I've carved in the past.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My Geek son is always full of useless information from scanning the internet. One little piece of that may help all of you pumpkin carvers out there this year.

He says you should cut the BOTTOM of the pumpkin open when digging out the insides!

Evidently most of the pulp and seeds are attached to the blossom end and when you cut that end open the majority of it just pulls right out!

He now has us all opening our bananas from the blossom end as well. You just pinch slightly and the peel pops right open with no bruised banana! So he says this is the way a wild monkey opens a banana - all I know is it does work easier.

Viva la GEEK.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We don't carve pumpkins down here in the South.

They rot so fast. So we use painted faces.

I tried when I first moved here and set that pumpkin out and the fruit flys and rot was so fast. I was surprised, the South caught me off guard.

Up North we carved and the pumpkins would make it thru the holiday--but not a fan of carving pumpkins. I hate the slippery of it! lol

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks for your photo contributions, homestead holdout. Your boyfriend did a great job on his pumpkin! Cute photos of your "spooky" cats. ;)

That is a neat tip, FarmFresh. It has been a few years since I carved a pumpkin, but I will remember that for next time. Odd tip about banana peels too. Seems counterintuitive to me, but I guess I will just have to try it. :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
WOW! Awesome photos!!

Nifty, I'm sure we'll take full advantage of the "picture a day" idea for the holidays...though I'm not sure we'll get them changed daily....lol might switch them every other day though so we can use all these great photos!!!!!!!! :D

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Wow, Lady Henevere, that is impressive!