HELP! Frozen chicken

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I need help! I need recipes to use frozen chicken in a casserole. Like the day when I look in the freezer and realize I don't have meat thawed for dinner. We always have frozen boneless/skinless chicken breast in the freezer.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Well at some point you have to thaw it first :p (doesn't take that long underwater)

One quick "oldie but goodie" is to make the classic green bean and cream of mushroom soup casserole (I mix in some sliced fresh onions too) and then lay the chicken breasts on top. To reduce cooking time you can cut them in half flatwise. Lay them raw in a single layer, make sure some of the cream of mushroom soup is dragged up over them, add topping if desired, and bake a little longer than you normally would. Very good and easy.

It's not a casserole, but another quick easy thing to do with frozen boneless breasts is to thaw them first :)P) and then cut in half flatwise or pound flat, dip in beaten egg then in breadcrumbs, panfry til done, then top each one with a small dollop of spaghetti sauce and a little bit of mozzarella. Cover pan for a couple minutes til sauce has warmed thru and cheese has melted. Chicken parmigiana! :)

Can't help with much else, I am not big on boneless breasts, I usually use bone-in cuts and dark meat more.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have any casserole recipes, but I've almost always cooked my chicken breasts from frozen. Pop in the pan, cover & put on low heat. Then I go mess with my veggies or whatever. Come back 5-10 minutes later and add my seasonings, debone, chop it up, turn it, add butter, whatever it is I am going to do to it.
Then I turn the heat up to cooking temp. Usually done in 20 minutes or less.

I do ground meats the same way. That help any?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
OK....:/

I tried to find recipes online. I found on that was only baked chicken from frozen and it was 375 for 45 minutes.

Soooo...

I put in 2 T butter sliced thinly. Then 1-1/2 c rice on that, and 2 - 3 c water on that. Then the chicken breast and a small sliced onion. Sprinkled it with Lawry's. Then 1/2 - 3/4 c of Hidden Valley ranch on the chicken breast. Grated REAL paremsan on the chicken. Then 80% mozzerella/10% provolone/10% mild cheddar on top of that.

:fl

*whew* No I can check all your recipes and write them down for my next dinner emergency!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
I don't have any casserole recipes, but I've almost always cooked my chicken breasts from frozen. Pop in the pan, cover & put on low heat. Then I go mess with my veggies or whatever. Come back 5-10 minutes later and add my seasonings, debone, chop it up, turn it, add butter, whatever it is I am going to do to it.
Then I turn the heat up to cooking temp. Usually done in 20 minutes or less.

I do ground meats the same way. That help any?
Thank you!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Our dinner ended up good! Not quite enough water in it. the rice was a little "crunchy" in a few places.

I have 1/2 thawed drumsticks for tonight. If I cook just drumstick, I'll get 2 - 3 meals. If I take it off the bone, I can probably stretch it into another meal.

I could get enough bone and little meaty bits on bones to make 2 meals worth of soup.

I could make fajitas and pulled chicken BBQ sandwiches.

Any other ideas?

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
5 or 6 frozen breasts (boneless/skinless, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with bone-in) in the 10" skillet with 1/2 bottle of marinade (or homemade equivalent, now that I know how many preservatives, not good for me stuff, etc is in the bottled marinades), cook covered on medium-low heat. While that's cooking (turn 'em a couple times to make sure everybody gets fully cooked), I'd make either cheesy mashed potatoes or rice, and some veggie (usually either green beans or broccoli). To serve, put the chicken on top of the potatoes or rice on the individual plates, and top with the marinade flavored pan-juices. Enjoy :)

Noobie, about how long would you let the chicken go on low before deboning it? How do you debone it without burning yourself?

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Also remember you can thaw most chunks of meat very quickly by putting it in a bowl of lukewarm water, and replacing the water occasionally. It takes maybe a half hour to thaw most things to the point where you can cook it. (Unless you're talking an entire turkey or a humongous roast or something... then it takes a little longer.)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
OMG. Cheesy mashed potatoes. Now I know what I'm going to do with my left-over (heavenly) cheese sauce

:drool

I don't think I can wait until morning for this one.

:runsofftothekitchen: