Help! grandfather burned my cucumbers

smackiesmommy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
my pepaw is very old school and at that age where you can't tell him anything. To make a long story short he came by the house and place a mixture of chicken compost and fertilizer around most my my garden. While I know he was just trying to help i think he burned up most of my cucumbers. Is there any way to save them because they all had baby cucumbers on them.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
smackiesmommy said:
my pepaw is very old school and at that age where you can't tell him anything. To make a long story short he came by the house and place a mixture of chicken compost and fertilizer around most my my garden. While I know he was just trying to help i think he burned up most of my cucumbers. Is there any way to save them because they all had baby cucumbers on them.
Not this year if you ask me, unless you can scrape it all up and get it out of there. You might just need to re-plant the cucumbers and write it off as "learning experience". Grandpa is a good man. He gave you something valuable, but didn't realize it's "potential".
Don't break his heart by telling him what happened.
Trim sends
//BT//

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Agree with above post. Do all that, but go ahead and replant while you hoping your cucs still have a chance. You might luck out and save some.
I lost both my grandmothers last summer and my grandfather in February. Please don't tell him. And it might be Okay.
I had to check this one out, cuz I was wondering how someone burns a cucumber.

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you live in Ga, you have plenty of time to replant a few plants and save your losses, as well as turn over the soil really well around the cukes he burned, it will shock the roots but they should recooperate. My father and i have done this before, he is old school and a few years ago he fertilized the garden very heavily, killed a lot of plants, and this was during june. We just replanted what we could and managed to get in several crops still as late as it was in the year.