Help? I don't want to hurt my husbands feelings....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow if it is a new sewing machine then you did great!!!!
LOL
see, I am sure it is something you will love and do secretly want....maybe not "next" on the priority list, but we all get what we want eventually if we are patient...well mostly..LOL

kinda off subject, but what kills me is when Tony gets me a present, and then the credit card statement comes and it says, like, Victoria Secrets, Sears, JC Penny, Tractor Supply Store, Jeffers Animal Catalog.....Hmmm...I guess I kinda know what all my presents are going to kinda be....sorta takes the fun out of it..LOL-LOL

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill,

I SO know this feeling. My dh very happily called me into my "studio" the other night - which has been under construction since 6 months ago when he took out the ceiling to replace it. I thought I was just looking at the finished room *FINALLY*.

Now - me...I've been saving to put up a chicken coop and some bee hives and berry bushes and....and there stood a really nice computer. I have a laptop that's been acting cranky lately,,,but I would WAY more have liked all that money to go toward those other things.

I've been saving and scrimping for my little homestead and here he brings in an expensive thing I can totally live without. I couldn't help but be a little upset...he noticed. I told him plainly that it was nice of him - REALLY - but that if I had had my druthers..... I felt terrible but GEEZ.

I can SO relate to the different worlds thing.... *sigh* I know in his case he has a real blind spot in buying gifts...as though he really can't figure out what someone else wants...he gets what HE thinks they should have (or - less politely - he gets them what HE wants). He once bought ME the Boze Wave Radio he had been lusting after for months. His reasoning was iron-clad...he figured since he thought it was sooooo cool I should have one. :th :he

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Farmer Chick
I know, He told me not to look at the Visa but when I saw how much was spent I figured something had to be wrong. I am going to just pretend I never saw it. My fence will come in good time. And I really do need a new sewing machine.

Jenna just think, maybe with your new computer yo can search craigs list for deals on things, like your coop etc... I look at our free adds daily.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL-LOL
He told you not to look at the statement...LOL....I know, I would have also had to look...LOL

yea be surprised, enjoy it and keep wanting that fence! :)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Aw don't hurt his feelings. And just imagine if it IS a new sewing machine how cool that will be.
:D

I need a new IRON and IRONING board (for sewing of course) but i'm not going to ask for THAT - cause next year I'll get something else related to housework :th

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
A sewing machine would be a well-thought-out and also practical gift, and if you think you'll be moving soon, it beats a fence.

Sometimes people get rid of chainlink fences on Craigslist, so maybe watch for something like that. Hard to say if you'd find enough fencing, but who knows???!!!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
DH and I have been together for 30 years. Long ago we decided two things.

#1 every family member posts on the refrigerator their wish lists for presents throughout the year. So if my list looks like this:
-kitchen towels from KMart
-navy blue sweatshirt from KMart
-two drawer file cabinet from OfficeMax
-24 qt stock pot from Kitchen Store
-watering can for indoor house plants from Family Dollar

don't get me new boots from Tractor Supply. :D

#2 all presents must be paid for with CASH so that the person reconciling the check book and bills isn't able to guess where her presents came from. It also prevents us from spending money we didn't have....

ETA I have an old chain link dog kennel I'm going to clear out. We don't fence our chickens, so we've always fenced our blueberry bushes.... too bad you aren't closer.....

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I kept complaining how much I hated our vacuum cleaner and my husband, Chad, went out and bought me one of those $450 Dysons. I almost hit the roof....I made him take it back after I thanked him profusely but told him that I didn't need the cadillac of vacuums, I would be happy with a ford. :D He got me a cheaper one and then went and bought something for himself! Oh well, what are you gonna do? :)

At least wait till christmas and open it to see what you got...I would love a new sewing machine too! :fl

Good luck!

Lori

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
$4500 on a vacuum
I didn't even know they made them that expensive! LOL

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would do what you have decided to do. Take my surprise and get my fence, too. LOL

I have to admit my first thought, though. I had gotten a ball park estimate to chainlink fence in my 2 acre yard. It would have cost about $18,000. So of course, having nothing else to compare it to, the first thing I thought was

She's getting a $6,000 present. She better hush!

:lol:

My dad is like lori's husband must be. If my mom says "Oh, shoot. I need a new microwave." He goes and buys THE MOST EXPENSIVE microwave he can find. Seriously, he bought her a $400 and my $60 microwave does everything I can imagine a microwave ought to do (and everything the $400 one does.) Mom said she wanted a counter-top fryer so dad bought her (again, the most expensive one in the store) practically a restaurant quality one. LOL

She has learned to be careful what she asks for.

Cassandra