Help me choose my next chickens

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I'm in a similar climate and have four breeds and three have gone broody, my russian orloffs did the best job of incubating and raising the chicks however. I have two who went broody together so they did not mind being apart from the other birds. They are an unusual breed to find and lay white eggs though.

My Rhode island reds lay consistent dark brown eggs and are my most friendly chickens. One goes broody every few months in warm weather even though that breed is not "supposed" to, but only one of my five does that.

My EEs are too young to lay eggs still....

My Buff Orpingtons have both gone broody, and are very friendly and cold hardy and pretty....and lay a lot of light brown eggs, very pretty color. I think of my four breeds, I'd suggest them. They have good personalities, just as the rhode island red do, but more of them go broody, sporatically one or another will go broody but I haven't gotten a successful hatch from them.

All you need is one broody hen.....and you can raise any chicks you want. I did not have the russian orloffs raise any of their own offspring, they hatched more buff orpingtons for me.

I wanted to add a maran or two in my flock to get a couple of dark eggs.
Wow, those Orloffs are interesting looking birds!

I love my New Hampshire Red; she (and her sister, RIP :() are/were my best layers, and are/were very friendly, curious birds. If I were going for a single breed flock to produce lots of large eggs I would think seriously about getting a bunch of NHRs (at last! a name I can shorten! :lol:). I've read that RIRs are, in general, not as friendly, though I'm sure that individuals vary.

My EE's have also all been lovely birds - friendly, curious, good layers, and beautiful coloring. The pullet I have now lays very pretty green eggs; the last 2 (RIP) laid a light tan egg, and a very light green egg respectively. I think I will always want at least one of these in the flock.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
My Delaware's slogged through bout 6 inches of mud all last Spring and they seemed to rather like it. Haven't had a broody yet, but I don't let them go broody. I have had a few try ;) I take the eggs away from them a couple times a day. If I ever get too sick to go out, I'll have a broody the next day probably :lol: They give me good big brown eggs too, so I would recommend them. My Buff I had last year didn't seem to care for the mud...maybe she was just prissy :idunno
I visited the Delawares as well over at feathersite. I wasn't familiar with this breed. Also very pretty (especially one photo of hens in the snow :)). I'll put that one on my short list too - which is now turning into a long list :lol:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
I seem to be on a path to try at least one of each breed. :rolleyes:

Buff Orpingtons are beautiful and very broody (at least at my place) and good mothers. :love

Love the Speckled Sussex and Partridge Rocks for striking feathers.

Welsummers seem to have great personality and neat eggs.

I'm loving my Wheaten Marans and their dark eggs.

Wyandottes in gold or silver laced feathering also make striking birds (just not during molt :p).

I also am enjoying the novelty of the Turken/Naked Necks. Half of mine have red skin, but the new young'uns have black skin with blue feathering. Good conversation starters. :lol:

I love my large cochins, but they are definitely not so pretty in the rain and mud. :/
I'm not sure that I could ever form an attraction for naked neck chickens; they are just a little (a lot!) weird :lol:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
meriruka said:
Chiming in for Orpingtons. The blue/black/splashes are lovely.
Old English Game bantams have tons of personality and will want to be involved in everything you do (especially painting)http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/286_p1010040.jpghttp://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/286_p1010010.jpg
Your Orpingtons are so pretty!
How would an OEGB do in a flock of standard chickens? Would I need to fear damage from my Barnevelder rooster? I do actually have 2 separate coops - the rooster lives with his wives in one, and the "Nunnery" houses the one hen that he wants to kill, plus another to keep her company - so a bantam, if necessary, could join the Nuns.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
You think BO is bad for chickens, just think, on horse boards, BO is the barn owner. BM is the barn manager, and if there's a supervisor, they're the BS!
:lol:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses. You have helped me narrow the field quite a bit.

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Go to www.albc-usa.org and check out the breed on the poultry conservation list. There are good descriptions there. Heritage breeds are cool and don't cost any more to feed than commercial breeds. I have Buckeyes and Welsummers and am pleased with both.:D

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Your Orpingtons are so pretty!
How would an OEGB do in a flock of standard chickens? Would I need to fear damage from my Barnevelder rooster? I do actually have 2 separate coops - the rooster lives with his wives in one, and the "Nunnery" houses the one hen that he wants to kill, plus another to keep her company - so a bantam, if necessary, could join the Nuns.
No need to worry, the OEGB's do just fine with the big birds. You'd be surprised how high up in the pecking order they get!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Light Brahma!!! I love mine....good mama too! She lays monster eggs.....I just got a black australorp and she is very sweet too.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to disagree with Lori on the Light Brahmas. They are pretty but mine eat so much! They don't forage well, totally lazy. And I've had problems with them getting egg bound :( Maybe I got a bad batch?
I like Dominiques. If I could get some breeder quality ones I would. I'm going to see what I can find at the OH Nationals next weekend.
I'd like to try black Australorps too.
Also looking at Buckeyes, again breeder quality. OFG hates hers though :p

Latest posts