Help me choose my next chickens

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I've found the Light Brahmas do need more protein/grow slower, but haven't had any of the other issues... I loved my Brahmas!

I'm actually convinced that I should gather some of my favorite breeds and let them breed to have mixed offspring.. Mixes of favorites.. What more could you ask for?! :p

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think that's a good idea BB! FYI, don't mix hatchery Brahmas with hatchery RIR's :rolleyes: Not good. Not good at all. Talk about eating alot! I am so ready to get a new flock.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Unless something happens in the next couple of months to change my mind ;), I have it narrowed down to a Welsumer, a Sussex (speckled probably), and a Delaware. And maybe a bantam, just for fun (and broodiness :lol:). While looking at the OEGB I also found pictures of Quail d'Anvers, and have to admit to being smitten!
Now I have to check if there are any sources within a reasonable drive from here. I'm not looking for show quality birds, so I may have to fall back to the farm store (which, to tell the truth, is where my others all came from).
Thanks for all your feedback; there were several suggestions that I had not considered at all before, and I appreciate the prompting to learn more about them.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Light Brahma!!! I love mine....good mama too! She lays monster eggs.....I just got a black australorp and she is very sweet too.
I gave up on the large fowl brahma's I had. They seem to mature very slowly. I have a trio of dark brahma bantams. Love their coloring even if bantams seem useless to me. :)

Latest posts