Help me make a shopping list!

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We will be getting back a chunk of money this february as a settlement.

DH and I agreed to spend a nice chunk on food stuffs supplies. I mean regular food mostly not Mountain House stuff. If you had a chunk to spend on stocking up what would you buy?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats on getting a settlement! Hmmm, if it was me I would start with canning supplies....
Jars, lids, a GOOD pressure cooker, maybe another waterbath canner, dehydrater....Ohhh, and a meat grinder, with a sausage attachment! I covet those when I see them in the stores!
Now, if you are talking foodstuffs. Heritage seeds, for the garden, fruit trees, berry bushes maybe nut trees, if you are so inclined. We dont want the mess of nut trees here.
Maybe the supplies to build up raised beds.for herbs and such.??
Or a greenhouse?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm with Just.....I'd spend that money on foods that you can grow and things to preserve it with. :thumbsup

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
On Our own said:
If you had a chunk to spend on stocking up what would you buy?
Absolutely nothing that I would not use. Make sure your money is spent on things that you and your family WILL eat.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A pressure canner, a log splitter, a gun & some lessons/practice to use it, and some rain barrels.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would stock up on items that take the biggest chunk out of the grocery budget. For me, that would be meats. If I had the room, I'd buy a 1/4 or 1/2 side of beef locally, as well chicken breasts, a few pork roasts, ribs, etc. I'd also get a bunch of canned salmon and tuna, since I use these a lot in salmon patties and casseroles.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
On Our own said:
We will be getting back a chunk of money this february as a settlement.

DH and I agreed to spend a nice chunk on food stuffs supplies. I mean regular food mostly not Mountain House stuff. If you had a chunk to spend on stocking up what would you buy?
If you are having financial difficulties I wouldn't spend much seriously.

If you HOLD onto money and shop sales as they come at you week by week I think definitely it wuold be the smarter way to save money on regular food groceries.

stocking up is great, when you have the extra money, but if in financial dire, I would buy what I only needed per week to survive and get thru the hard times and shop weekly sales.

stocking up is for when the cash to be sure if and when the SH&*Fan (and I don't think that scenario is coming soon) or when you have extra money to just lob into the pantry.

hope that makes sense what I wrote

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I second FC on the hold the cash and shop for sales.

Aside from that, as an investment....I would agree with Justy, raised beds, heirloom seeds, canning supplies. That is an excellent idea!

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yup, I'm with the whole idea of hanging on to that money - do you have an "emergency fund"? you know, when something breaks (your tooth, your car, the plumbing, the roof, the chainsaw, your arm) you need that fund badly.

Also, if you wait, you can plan your buying so that it is on sale or a good deal. So if your wish list includes canning equipment, buying at garage sales/auctions/end of season sale will make your $ go farther than if you just up and go spend the bucks now.

If it is hard to hold on to money and you are worried it will just be spent anyway, you could put the money into CD's or something.

Or if you have debt, consider paying tht down with the settlement money. Not always the best idea, really does depend on the circumstances, but.....

sorry, because I know it is fun to dream about how to spend $!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If I got one tomorrow I would buy...

eyes (I am even more blind than abi :p )
a good used pick-up
more land
gardening supplies

I already have a chest freezer and a good start on a dry goods stash. My garden suplies would be in the form of containers or raised bed materials. In ground planting here can be a real pain