Help me slay this electric bill?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Our friend with pellet heat loves it. It's beautiful and incredibly hot!

Good point about line drying. If you end up looking at wood or pellet heat, especially in your basement, you can line dry year round regardless of your weather. That saves us about 12 hours of dryer time every week.

Can you make sure your dishwasher is set to air dry rather than heat dry and that you get hot water running in your kitchen before starting the dishwasher? Otherwise, it has to heat up cold water to hot for the entire load.

I'd check out the hot water heater, too. Set it as low as you can go and insulate it. Check into insulating any hot water pipes that go through unheated areas of your house--like your basement.

Also, stoves and irons use a ton of electricity. I mostly buy clothes that don't need ironing. Hanging wrinkly clothes in a steamy bathroom helps take out some wrinkles. As far as cooking, when the oven is going I try to cram in as much as possible to make use of that energy. Crockpots are very low energy users. One crockpot running 1 day can make enough food for a family of 4 to eat quite a few meals.

Can you adjust the thermostat down? In our old LP-heated house, we had it set at 60, 62 when the kids were born. It's cold, but hey--it's winter :) I always had hot drinks and 2-3 layers of clothes on, and turned it up when we had friends and family staying with us.

Same goes with air conditioning. We're all in and out all the time anyway, so we don't use our air conditioning unless people are visiting or we are in a seriously long hot spell and my husband is getting cranky.

Check insulation again. We recently had some mold develop in my son's bedroom ceiling. After a visit to the attic, it turned out there was no insulation at that spot, hence condensation. Insulation has a way of sagging and falling. Might be worth a check.

We've also found leaky spots in toilet-paper dispensers on outer walls and fan/light switches on outer walls, literally with a tiny breeze coming through them. Might be worth checking and caulking.

Electric tea kettles use way less electricity than the stove. I drink so much tea all day long that I bet I'm saving a ton that way. In fact, when we boil anything on the stove, we get the water boiling in minutes in the kettle, then dump it in our cookpot on the stove to continue its boiling.

So, good luck! Here's a link to a basic checklist, but I think you're already beyond this one. Might be a place to start, though.

http://www.aceee.org/consumerguide/checklist.htm

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Oh, another thing, do you always draw all the drapes at night? Do. It makes a CONSIDERABLE difference in how much heating your home uses. Then on cold days (how cold is 'cold'? Depends how much money you want to save :p) leave the north side drapes drawn all day, probably the E and W side ones too, but open all the S side window coverings so that you get maximal solar heating. Remember to close again at night. If you have just gauzy curtains or miniblinds or etc, replace with proper drapes that do a better job of limiting heat exchange and air movement.

Pat, where it got down to -30 C last night (about, what, -20 F?) and no way would the furnace have been able to keep up without good drapes closed over all the windows (our house insulation sucks :p)

me&thegals

Reaction score
Good point, Pat. If your home has good humidity, don't forget to open them in the morning. We get mold growing on the window sills if the shades are left shut all day and can't dry out the condensation.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In NC in winter I open all drapes and the house can get up to 70-72 easily on a very cold day. Shut all drapes at night to keep the heat in....well I have vertical blinds..LOL

key being....use the sun to your advantage. I never have the elec. heat or propane fireplace running during the day....but then again I am NC and can do this!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Good point, Pat. If your home has good humidity, don't forget to open them in the morning. We get mold growing on the window sills if the shades are left shut all day and can't dry out the condensation.
Yeah, I get that too, but some days it is just too cold to leave all the drapes open :p so I just go around every couple days to those windows and wipe the parts that get condensate (and would thus get moldy in time) with a rag. Haven't had a problem.

The youngest cat likes to lick the frost/ice that forms on the lowest parts of the drape-covered windowpanes on the coldest mornings. Apparently it is some sort of gourmet treat :p

Pat

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When one kid went into the Army and the other one left home, my bill went down so fast it should have bounced.

I do not use a dishwasher or clothes dryer. 6-10% of power usage in the U.S. can be attributed to clothes dryers.

3nglishteacher

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for all the wonderful tips ! And yes, Dominion Power has an online audit that I tinkered with last night. According to that, we're only slightly over "normal" usage for our home, appliances, etc.

I know for a fact that this weekend will find us buying a jacket for the hw heater ~ I never really thought it'd need insulation as it's brand spankin' new and it's in an under-the-stairs closet in main part of house that is only just big enough for it. I assumed that the tight space prevented heat loss but I'm not taking chances going fwd. Also power strips for phantom loads. I confess, I do run the dryer in the winter - never in summer - but that'll stop. Believe I was just complaining about how dry the air is in the house ~ so the clothes rack will kill 2 birds :D And showers are hereby timed. I'm suspecting my teens are my kw suckers.

Dishwasher is always on Normal, Air dry, but I never thought about making sure the water is hot before hitting start button -- Thanks! And dh is checking the crawlspace this weekend for proper insulation -- the vents are closed but I think we may have some loss at the direct vent fireplace.

Pellet stove -- I love the idea! Can anyone report on pros and cons? Must be more affordable than the exterior wood stove/hot water thingy I was looking at in Mother Earth News.

Again, thank you -- I look fwd to learning so much hanging out here.
Karen

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I love my pellet stove but it does have two draw backs- needs electricity to run the auger and blower, so if power goes out- there you are. And you need to keep a supply of pellets as sometime there can be shortages- the only shortage I have ever had was when a large pellet producer had a fire that destroyed all their stored pellets.
The good things about a pellet stove is that it can be attached to a thermostat and, outside of filling the hopper, runs itself. Clean up is easy, the bags the pellets are in means I have never bought a plastic garbage bag, the pellets are neat and clean to store in the garage and lthe smoke deposited in the air is very minimal- unlike my upwind neighbor who must burn the worst wood in the world.

I just make sure I have my winter's supply in the early fall before most people ever think of it. I actually have a two year supply against the garage wall- acts as a stop for my truck. :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
When one kid went into the Army and the other one left home, my bill went down so fast it should have bounced.
Aint that the truth! My oldest is in basic right now :D

(The youngest will always be with us though)

me&thegals

Reaction score
Every time my kids leave the lights on for extended periods of time, I threaten to get a bicycle hooked up to a generator. I think it's a great idea! It would solve winter blahs, lack of activity in sub-zero weather, energy usage...