HELP my 1st Pig

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bagged, tagged & in the deep freezer :) got hocks in fridge for smoking in the morning to be made into ham hocks and beans for dinner tomorrow :)
IMG_20171125_163757647.jpg

He was good and healthy on the inside. All organs had great color, no worms, no spots what so ever. He was not near as fatty as I thought he would be. The only real deep fat was on the back. I guess that why the call it fat back but other than that not all the much fat really. I could stand a lot more practice buthering for sure.
IMG_20171125_123926337.jpg

Anyways what a great experience. I'll surely be looking to get a few piglets come spring.

Thanks everyone for all your pointers and helpful words. What a great group of folks. And now my wife won't have to chase chopper up and down the road anymore :)

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad the experience went well for you! One parting piece of advice for next time- you really want to hang or otherwise age (jn a cooler with ice if too warm) for at least, well we do at least 24 hours. It gets the carcass past the rigor mortis stage and the meat will be more tender.

Yay for no more chasing pigs around the neighborhood!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
All's well that ends well :) I found it very hard to kill my first pig, but it gets easier and the rewards, that wonderful meat, knowing where it came from and that the animal had a good life, makes it easier too. Enjoy that meat!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I must admit it's kinda nice not having chopper around anymore. I mean no more chasing him up and down the road is nice. My daughter in laws thought I was gonna keep him as a pet <--- silly aren't they? I haven't found time to do ham hocks and beans yet but my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I learned a lot from raising up chopper. It was definitely a little boost of "I can do this" confidence. This spring I'll be on the hunt for a few piglets and I'm going make darn sure they have good shelter and can't get out of their pen!!! I truly believe... if my wife has to chase another pig home from almost a 1/2 mile away with a big stick. She most likely will hit me with the stick over the head instead of tapping the pig on the butt to shoe it home.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And I wouldn't blame her! No one wants to chase a full size pig around the neighborhood! Glad you're feeling confident about raising pigs. With a good fence, they're super easy to raise. And they're kind of fun too!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Smart lady!! I can imagine you all in a cartoon strip with her chasing both of you! What's the saying? Walk softly and carry a big stick! :lol:
Thanks for taking us along on your experience with Chopper! It was fun watching the show. :)