Help! Need ideas for Graduation Open House!!!

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Not sure what topic to put this under, so placed it here. My son is graduating and we are having an open house here in June. My idea is to have a cookout of some type outdoors and need ideas for what to serve that is economical. I am looking for yard games, too, as we are going to make an afternoon of it and invite friends and church family. ANY ideas will be appreciated.
My house cannot accomodate all the guests indoors and our church facility is not completed yet, so it has to be here.
Thanks so much!!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Unless you have large areas of shade in your yard, rent a tent to cover the eating area. It makes a big difference. We rented a tent, and were glad to have it - the temperature hit 90 that day, and for 10 minutes it rained. :rolleyes:

You could do hot dogs, burgers, sloppy joes, bbq/pulled porked or chicken, casseroles, and a variety of salads. Really anything. Many recipes can be made in advance, frozen and just reheated, so you aren't running mad the day of the event. Ask your church about borrowing tables, chairs, grills, crock pots and/or roasters.

We made oven baked chicken two weeks in advance. We froze it, then thawed it the day before and served it cold. We kept it in a very large cooler on ice.

ETA - check with your local library for cookbooks on picnics and buffets for large crowds.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
When planning your menu try to think of things that will not have to be kept either hot or cold. The more room temp type foods that you serve, the easier it will be. Large tossed salads, Asian type slaws have no mayo, German style potato salad can be kept at room temp (no mayo), pasta salad rather than traditional macaroni salad with mayo, fruit platters instead of yogurt dressed fruit salad, chips, cookies etc.

Good luck!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
My advice would be to hire someone...just a friend or aqcuantance to help you the day of the party to make sure the punch bowl stays filled, the food bowls are replenished, area is kept clean etc. Just so you can mingle and not run around like crazy.
Luncheon meat trays to make cold sanwiches. Frozen fruit bowl. Veggie tray. Cookie trays...can be made ahead of time and frozen.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mom used to freeze punch in jello molds. The ice came out as rings, and it didn't dilute the punch. I know some people put ice cream (??) in to keep it cold, but the punch ice lasts longer and looks prettier. You can also float fruit bits or mint leaves in it to be decorative.

As for games... It sounds dumb, but badminton. It doesn't take up much room, and most people can play it. Maybe the younger people would want volleyball or something, but the ball is always a problem. It will go where you least want it. (the punch bowl!)

Another game that is so fun, but not too common, at least around here. It's called Bolo, I think. You simply throw balls suspended together at bars, and try to get them to stay. The lower the bar, the more points. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F29GKM...e=380337&creativeASIN=B001F29GKM&linkCode=asn When I played it, it was a homemade (extremely SS!) set, made of PVC piping. The balls were tennis balls hooked together with rope. It was much cheaper than this link, and just as fun!

ETA I found a DIY link for making a set. My may bother my step-dad into making this, it was pretty fun. http://www.jeepfan.com/other/bolotoss.php

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
horseshoe pit, croquet, bocce ball, frisbee golf

as far as food goes, I would do iced tea (sweet and unsweet) and water and something simple like barbeque. I would serve cookies, brownies, maybe some homemade ice cream

Could you make it a potluck? You provide the main dish, like the barbeque or hot dogs and hamburgers and everyone that comes brings a side or dessert. Really cuts the cost. We do this for the 4th of July party every year.

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you for all the ideas. A lot of good ones here...Some I actually had already thought of!!
Thank you!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That Bolo game is great! I think I will make a set, but I will use step-in fence posts from TSC for about $2 each and then just use 3 2' pieces of pvc for the cross pieces, tie 'em on with good ol' baling twine. And tennis balls, for sure, everyone who plays tennis has dead balls to get rid of.

I will also suggest devilled eggs for a very cheap and filling dish, put them out first and people tend to fill up on them. Also, chicken leg quarters are very cheap in bulk, and you can par-bake them the day before and then just brown them on the grill. And hotdogs. Both cheap, we don't even offer hamburgers when we want to have a party but are a bit broke. We offer sliced bread rather than rolls for the hotdogs.

Bars are quicker to make than cookies, so I would do all cookie bars and brownies. Just as popular, too.

Tabouleh salad is very inexpensive if you can get the bulgar wheat rather than the mix. I then use Italian spices, I just can't do the mint thing. Add diced cukes and tomatoes, I also add thinly sliced carrot for more color and crunch. The leftovers are great for lunch if you have any eggs left. Which you won't.

Make lemon ice tea for a cheap drink. Use frozen lemonade and cut it in half with homemade ice tea, starting with tea bags and a pan of water. I find the lemonade too sweet, so I don't sweeten the tea, just mix it together and float a couple of lemon slices in it.

Don't forget plain water, too, in pitchers with lots of ice and garnished with lemons or mint. People, even kids, drink lots of water nowadays.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marinated vegetables are popular, pretty, and fancy-shmancyish. Just cut up chunks of tomatoes, cukes, fresh mushrooms, boiled baby potatoes, lightly steamed zucchini or asparagus tips, broccoli, red or yellow bell peppers, etc. Some chunks of feta cheese can be good in there too. The day before, toss everything together in a balsamic vinagrette salad dressing diluted with a little olive oil if it seems too strong, then put it out in a nice bowl for the picnic. Think of it as pasta salad without the pasta.
Fruit salad is also a good idea. Use a little "Fruit Fresh" found in the produce section or the canning goods to keep the fruits nice.
Whole small fruits like plums and apricots are good too.
I "catered" my BFs daughter's wedding, and we did marinated vegs, whole fruit, fruit salad, tabbouleh, pasta salad, and sub sandwiches. Other folks brought desserts.

Remember you don't have to have a million dishes, just plenty of a few. Try something new and fresh, because people will get tired of all the same macaroni salads and jello. And I agree with freemotion-- stay away from Pop, it makes people full and sluggish. Tea, lemonade and water are better.

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I appreciate all the ideas! I KNEW that this site would be a great resource for ideas!!
Thanks so much!