HELP! Pet Dander allergies...I think...New house...son coughs

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
A black light will show cat urine. Turn off the overhead lights and shine it around.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
A black light will show cat urine. Turn off the overhead lights and shine it around.
ahhhhh...thank you! went shopping and came back armed with two air filters...one for his room and one for the living/dining area. Hopeflly it makes a difference, we will see when he comes home. And I just might get a black light!
Thanks ya'll

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What about stray cats outside spraying on shrubs, under the windows, etc. Do you see any cats around?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I know my neighbor has a cat but I have never seen or smelled it on my property. My son doesn't cough while outside either. It's something in here.
Plugged in two air purifiers yesterday, one in the main part of the house and one in his room. Both hepa with ozone. He isn't coughing as much, but still hacked crazy this morning. Oh ya...and I found a whole lot more dog hair behind an electrc rad that I hadn't pulled off and cleaned behind yet...so there are still spots I haven' t gotten to....UGH!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Did you get the ducts cleaned?
We don't have ducts here, it's all electric baseboards, which are coming out in Aug because we are having in floor heating installed in the crawlspace under the floor. We also have a propane stove...now THAT needs to be taken apart and cleaned out really well...I opened the side of it yesterday...more yikes! I cannot believe how much pet hair can contaminate EVERYTHING!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm afraid that I have no suggestions for finding out what is wrong, or getting rid of whatever it is. But I do have a little story illustrating how long allergy producing things can hang around. My parents had guests over, and one of them went into a full blown allergic response to something, and had to go outside. He was absolutely stunned that this had happened as his only known allergy was to horses, and it seemed unlikely that there had been horses in my parents' living room. Except ... my mother loved Victorian furniture, and had a set of horsehair upholstered chairs and a couch. Original upholstery; the horsehair had not been attached to a horse for probably 100 years!