HELP PLEASE!!! MY DAD IS GOING TO GET RID OF MY DOG

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
smart i didnt think abt. that:ep
Dogs are unlikely to associate pain with predation behaviors. They're more likely to associate pain with the spot they were standing when they were shocked than with predatory behavior.

The only way this training works without high risk of poor welfare for the dog is when the pain is applied when the dog makes contact with the prey. That's clearly unacceptable for the cats' safety and welfare. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168159106003820

E-collars are high-risk and there's no evidence of benefit as compared to positive reinforcement training (such as predation substitute training)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well this problem has been around for a long time. There was even a song written about it.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

3:19farmandoutdoors

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Dogs are unlikely to associate pain with predation behaviors. They're more likely to associate pain with the spot they were standing when they were shocked than with predatory behavior.

The only way this training works without high risk of poor welfare for the dog is when the pain is applied when the dog makes contact with the prey. That's clearly unacceptable for the cats' safety and welfare. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168159106003820

E-collars are high-risk and there's no evidence of benefit as compared to positive reinforcement training (such as predation substitute training)

:thumbsup:ep:ep:ep:ep:ep

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I defer to the dog expert. Gosh dang it, it would be so satisfying to see Buford do a double back flip at the press of a button, when he’s chasing sheep.
Like I said, I never used one, but got in a pretty good substitute when I was actually close enough to throw a horse brush at him one day as sheep and him ran by. Thud. Yell NO! Followed by more yelling and scolding. Something clicked in his brain.

3:19farmandoutdoors

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I defer to the dog expert. Gosh dang it, it would be so satisfying to see Buford do a double back flip at the press of a button, when he’s chasing sheep.
Like I said, I never used one, but got in a pretty good substitute when I was actually close enough to throw a horse brush at him one day as sheep and him ran by. Thud. Yell NO! Followed by more yelling and scolding. Something clicked in his brain.
are you saying you don't like the electric collar method?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Question. This dog is 6 years old. Why haven’t you corrected her before and trained her not to try to kill the cats? Why hasn’t this been a problem for you before, until your Dad got tired of the dog’s behavior and said get rid of her? I have to side with your Dad on this one. It’s a testament to his kindness and patience that he hasn’t stepped in sooner to get rid of the problem. You have let this go on for far too long, now, faced with consequences of your lack of action, you want to fix the problem that never should have been allowed anyway.

I had to get that off my chest. I don’t want to sound mean. You are a fine young lady, you are figuring out life, growing more mature and smarter about life every day. 6 years ago you were quite young and probably didn’t see it for the problem it is-and didn’t know what to do about it. But now you do. On the flip side of this, your Dad could have supported you and helped you train her to start with. This is one of life’s lessons and I’m betting you never forget it and never allow this again. Double down, do what’s got to be done. I have faith in you.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
are you saying you don't like the electric collar method?
I’ve never used one. Personally I believe it works in some situations when all else has failed. But I’m very patient and I don’t give up. I just keep correcting, Buford has spent time in a kennel. I have to adjust the situation to set him up for success.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have to leave this morning. I won’t let the ewes and lambs out on the field in my absence. Too tempting for a puppy. BIG puppy, but still a puppy. I’ll let the ram and his ewes out instead. Buford has progressed to the point, that he’s safe with them. And he’s better behaved.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hermes is set at what is a lighter static shock. I believe that I should be willing to feel what I do to a dog. Held it against my inside wrist and hubby zapped it. Startles even when expecting it but doesn't burn like the fly swatter I've got myself with a few times. So many people use the e-collars incorrectly and set too high.

Hermes has only been zapped about a dozen times since I got it. He does get buzzed to get him to pay attention to me when he's off doing who knows what somewhere or something he really needs to reconsider like counter surfing. He wears the collar maybe 6 hours a day.

Hermes doesn't go after chicks. Never has as Ive always introduced chicks with a "Mine" to the dogs when young. He won't step within 2 feet of a broody. He did that twice and had just happened to pick Satan's own hen for his curiousity. She's the reason hubby won't collect eggs.

I'll probably be done with the collar in the next month. I'm having to charge it every 2 weeks because it just sits on but not in use unless we're doing specific things. Only took zapping twice to learn to leave the elk alone. Elk and deer will kill dogs.

I'll keep using collars as needed which probably won't be again once done. Last pair sat hanging by the backdoor almost a decade without use once I got stubborn Athena to leave the deer alone. Only ordered this one after couldn't get through Hermes head that deer were to be left alone.

The spray bottle worked to stop him from grabbing chickens mostly. He then decided he likes the spray bottle. I can take it on trips to use to give him a drink in a moving car.