Help what do I do with all this zucchini ?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That sounds wonderful! I'm going to try this some time.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've never grown zukes in any of my gardens. I remember Mom growing them when I was growing up and it was always a struggle to use them all. I was never a fan unless it was zucchini bread or something, so I just never grew them.

National Stick a Zucchini on your Neighbor's Porch Night poster.....

th

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I love that! We always seemed to grow too many ourselves. Had no problem rehoming the extras that didn't go into the freezer though, there was always someone without a garden that was only too happy to take them off our hands.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Cookies!!

1/2 cup margarine, softened

1 cup white sugar

1 egg

1 cup grated zucchini

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1 cup raisins

In a medium bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg then stir in the zucchini. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and stir into the zucchini mixture. Mix in raisins. Cover dough and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet. Cookies should be about 2 inches apart.

Bake for 8-10 minutes in a pre-heated oven until cookies are set.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
BROWNIES!!!

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup margarine
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini and walnuts. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies spring back when gently touched. To make the frosting, melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and margarine; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, blend together the confectioners' sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, I've gotta try those brownies. I could put dark chocolate in them and they'd be even MORE healthy, right? ;)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh yes! Dark chocolate is really good for you. I read somewhere one day it helps relieve asthma symptoms, amongst other things. When combined with a glass of red wine, it's even better :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok - I made the brownies!

Couple things I changed.

The recipe doesn't call for any liquid (except the oil) in the brownie mix. I mixed it up per directions and ended up with a bowl of grated zucchini with sugar and flour all over it, lol. Not a bad thing, but I didn't think it would turn into brownies without some added liquid so I added about 1/4 cup sour cream and about 1/2 a cup of milk. I just eye-balled it until it was more the consistency I thought would be brownie-like. I also added an egg. You could probably leave the egg out...maybe...

It made a very dense, moist (but kinda cake like - probably because of the egg) BROWNIE! It is good! The icing on the top is really the finishing piece and makes the brownie more chocolatey.

I'm going to cut them up into pieces and freeze them individually. That way maybe I won't eat them all in one day!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
There is a 1/4 cup milk in th recipe, but now that you mention it, even with that added, it sounds a bit dry, doesn't it? It sounds great with your additions! Have you got a pic, so we can drool see?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think that was for the icing since the step by step of things to mix didn't include the milk. Anyway, I used it in the icing, lol. But, I kind of halved the icing mix so it wouldn't be so many calories so I didn't use a 1/2 cup.

I've got them in the freezer now, but when I take them out to wrap them individually, I'll take a pic!