HELP! What is Cilantro?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Cilantro is DELICIOUS....but only to those with a certain gene. I am lucky enough to have the "cilantro = good" gene. My hubby has the "cilantro tastes like soap!!!" gene :D

As Free said, if you can't get cilantro, try using regular parsley.

They often have dried cilantro at the grocery store, but the flavor of dried is pretty pathetic.
Well I guess I got the "I can't really taste Cilantro" gene. I don't see any difference between cilantro and parsley. :idunno But it really grows great around here and I have a quart jar of coriander seeds... :clap

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We LOVE it here and I put it in everything mexican and thai that we make (we love both of those ethnic foods). We always grow it but never have enough.

Our daughter has always hated it and thought it tastes like soap. She can detect a small amount in any mexican dish and I have to remember to serve it on the side or she will notice, even if we don't seem to think that flavor sticks out.

I do agree with WZ it seems to be people have different tastebud reactions that seem to be inborn.

My husband could eat it like salad.

There is a veterinary medication that has a really strange smell, but only some people can smell it. It smells disgusting if you can (I'm one of the smellers) so your theory makes sense to me WZ. We always marveled at the clinic how some people smell it and some smell nothing.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
fresh tomatoes, jalepenos, onion and cilantro = awsome salsa. Fry up some torn corn tortillas. And I could munch on that all day.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
As the mother of three children with entirely different taste palates, I think it is inherited and not something that people choose. From their earliest days, my daughter enjoyed a huge variety and embraced all foods, my older son has always only wanted carbs and dislikes strong flavors of any kind and my younger son craves proteins constantly, hates carbs. Same parents, same diet offered, ??????

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Very interesting! The same SIL who looooves cilantro also looooves argula (which I also find disgusting).
I think it's a complex thing. I adore cilantro, but detest strong or bitter greens (including but by no means limited to arugula)

You know what I hate the way some people hate cilantro? Chard. Eeuuuuuww. It has this weird sort of musky bitter very distinctive taste that I just cannot get past.

Pat

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cilantro is the green herb part of the plant, coriander is the seed, but do not let the plant bolt, because that changes the leaves and apparently makes them inedible.

I am iffy on cilantro. I don't mind it in small amounts, so moderation is key. If they're big chunks, I pick them out very obviously and set them aside. if anything, I like the parsley taste less than I like the cilantro taste. Both herbs, however, are good in things (salsa, garlic elixir, etc) but I will not be having parsley and/or cilantro sandwiches anytime soon.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cilantro <3!!

We have a great mexican dig across from my work, they are moving into a bigger place next door for a sports bar. Can't wait for mrgarita night w/ chile relleno burrios, or enchiladas, loaded w/ their homemade salsa swimming in chunk of cilantro. Throw some on top...yummoooooo!

I'm drooling now, thanks guys.