Help! What should I eat?

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had my gallbladder out. I started out VERY low fat the first week - no added fat, very lean meat, fat free salad dressing, veggies, spuds, pasta, bread, cereal, milk, fruits, etc.

The second week I started adding a little fat back in - a pat of butter on potatoes, a little bit of regular salad dressing, etc. Nothing fried or high fat.

I kept gradually increasing the fat amount until six weeks, after which I went back to a normal diet.

I've known other people who avoided fats completely for the full six weeks, and they have problems with fat still.

I went on the theory that if your gallbladder is removed, and your common duct has to enlarge to take the place as bile reservoir, then it is more likely to do so if there is a gradual NEED to adapt. So I gave it a gradual need to adapt.

I suspect if you wait six weeks to introduce fats at all, your common duct won't adapt as well. But that is just my own personal feeling on the subject, doctors just say avoid fats until you adapt (which doesn't make much sense, really).

I handled fats just fine, until the Crohn's caused fat malabsorption. Now that that is healing up, I can handle them pretty much normally again.

I was three and a half months pregnant when I had mine out, so I don't know how the pregnancy hormones might have affected my recovery either.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, that is basically what I did when I found out had diabetes. So, now I will just have to adjust again. It's good that you look on the positive side. That is a good idea.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have no personal experience with this. But my SIL had this surgery. At first she ate no fatty or greasey stuff. Now she eats like she always had. But to me her intake of the stuff was twice what mine is. I still think she eats to much of it..

But she knows to prepare herself after eatting a very greasy meal. She stays close to a bathroom.. LOL

We call it the Sea Gull effect..

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah I am trying to avoid the Sea Gull effect. :)

Being chained to the bathroom is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I like taking long walks, kayaking, and staying active. I don't want unexpected problems on the trail.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chickenone said:
Yeah I am trying to avoid the Sea Gull effect. :)

Being chained to the bathroom is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I like taking long walks, kayaking, and staying active. I don't want unexpected problems on the trail.
For my SIL her sea gull effect starts about 15-30 after she eats the very greasy meal. Then it is over with till the next time she has a very greasy food..

She is not chained to the bathroom per say. Just for the immediatly after the meal.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
You need to find some Bile Salts to take. Check sources carefully. This will allow you to eat good fats :)

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Where does one get bile salts? Is it available at the health food store?