Help with US cooking terms!!!!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
LOL, I first thought of the old song "I love you/a bushel & a peck/a bushel & a peck/And a hug around the neck..." :lol:
ME TOO! And being a old Fruit Farmer a peck basket was called a "market basket" since the peck was about what most people would buy for fruit for household use. If you were canning peaches or something big like that you might buy a 1/2 bushel or even a full bushel. but for a couple of pies and eating out of hand a peck was about right for most households. BTW has anybody seen the old style wooden baskets made out of thin split wood with a wooden hoop around the top holding the whole thing together. Wire handles in the bushel and half bushel attached to the hoop. The market basket or peck was woven with a half hoop attached to the wooden top frame this made it easy to handle with one hand. Wooden berry baskets? They are either pressed cardboard or plastic now, used to come in pints, quarts, and 2 quart sizes Thin wood with a wooden frame around the top, square of course.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
~gd said:
BTW has anybody seen the old style wooden baskets made out of thin split wood with a wooden hoop around the top holding the whole thing together. Wire handles in the bushel and half bushel attached to the hoop. The market basket or peck was woven with a half hoop attached to the wooden top frame this made it easy to handle with one hand. Wooden berry baskets? They are either pressed cardboard or plastic now, used to come in pints, quarts, and 2 quart sizes Thin wood with a wooden frame around the top, square of course.
Try here Little Rock Crate and Basket. I have never bought any but I received a free catalog from them some years back when I was looking for berry baskets.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
~gd said:
BTW has anybody seen the old style wooden baskets made out of thin split wood with a wooden hoop around the top holding the whole thing together. Wire handles in the bushel and half bushel attached to the hoop. The market basket or peck was woven with a half hoop attached to the wooden top frame this made it easy to handle with one hand. Wooden berry baskets? They are either pressed cardboard or plastic now, used to come in pints, quarts, and 2 quart sizes Thin wood with a wooden frame around the top, square of course.
Try here Little Rock Crate and Basket. I have never bought any but I received a free catalog from them some years back when I was looking for berry baskets.
Thank You! Though at those prices I now know why they are no longer used! almost $10 for a covered bushel, people are already bitching about the price of fruit!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Most people (at our market anyway) are using the nice baskets to transport and display the fruit then transferring in into a plastic "T-shirt" type grocery bag to send it home with with customer. ;)

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem the other way around.

Everything is metric. Solids/dry in grams, liquids in mL.

Butter comes in grams, not the usual pack of two or four sticks you'll see in the average American market. The average pound(lb) of butter (16 oz) is 453.592g (I'd round that to 454g), and the average block of butter here is 500g (half a kilo).

Also, there are minor differences in measures (measuring cups, jugs etc) as well, but they are relatively miniscule. I remember reading that a tablespoon in America was different to a tablespoon in Canada, and a tablespoon in Australia was different from both (I can't remember by how much right now though).

The best thing I ever did for myself (well, hubby did it), was buy a scale that measured in grams.

However, since I am a baker that came from America, ALL my recipes have to be converted, and THAT is annoying beyond belief! I'm gonna have to have someone send me an entire set of American weights and measures for those recipes, because whatever differences there are in the Australian ones, they aren't cutting it.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't see this thread yesterday!!! But questions are already answered ;)

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day and THANK YOU to all of you who helped us out .You can be sure that I will call on you all again in the future............Once again many thanks .............................T.O.R.....................