Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll be doing mitered cuts on the framing around the new outhouse windows and door, so I looked up a vid on how to do that without a miter box or miter saw and found this vid, which I can do with my circular saw. I would never have thought to do it that way but, my, how simple!!!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Confession: For many years, I've followed the advice of some local oldtimers when it comes to tightening the wooden handles of axes, sledge hammers, etc. They advised me to use brake fluid—automobile brake fluid—thinned with a little water as a bath for soaking the head-end of the axe or sledge in overnight or so. It does work, for an immediate fix. But it dries out, often within a matter of weeks.

A problem, too, is that dogs and other pets are said to be attracted to the brake fluid in the bucket and will drink some, given the chance, and perhaps wind up fatally sick. (I've always taken precautions against the option for a dog or cat to stick it's head into the bucket.)

Online, I couldn't find anybody who, these days, recommends that method. Instead, most experienced people are recommending using boiled linseed oil in one way or another. Oils are more what's called for, because they're more compatible with the hardwoods that tool handles are made from and simply last longer among the wood fibers & cells. Here's a video of a good method for doing it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You won't believe this, but just yesterday I and my son were organizing things in our shed and I picked up a positively ANCIENT can of linseed oil, covered in years of grime, and said, "Now, what in the world would we ever use this for???" and placed it to one side for disposal.

Now I know why my Dad kept it around, huh? I will do so also...one never knows when that will be needed for loose axe handles and such.