hen stopped laying

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I saw the drake having his way with one of the hens yesterday. Hopefully he knocked something lose... LOL

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Mine just started back up last week, all 4 of them stopped for about 1 month, 2 are back to laying, 1 of them is sporadic though, but better than absolutely nothing. Still waiting to see if the duck is boy or girl. And the 2 little new additions we got 1 egg from Sun., which really surprised me. I figured she wouldn't lay this week due to the stress of being driven down the interstate in a cage @ 75 mph Sat., & a new home.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I thought mine had stopped laying for the winter until I saw my egg-suckin' hound coming out of the coop with a big egg in his mouth! I'm now getting 13-16 per day....imagine, that dog was eating that many for a couple of months!!!! :rant

At least he's fat and shiney! :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey Inchy
give us an update...anything yet?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
OMG! Is it a great dane or something??? LOL
Heck, no! He weighs all of 50-60 lbs....usually! He's a lab/bc cross and he's like a coyote or a dingo....will scavenge very efficiently for himself if left alone in the wild. I've seen him snatch one of my songbirds out of midair and swallow it in two bites!

And, yes, I feed him well every day...it just never seems enough! :p

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess they've been cooped up 2 or 3 days now. Still no eggs from the EE, yet she is happy as can be! When I walk up to her these days, she isn't squatting either. I'm thinking she'll start up again in spring. I'm fond of her and just want to make sure she is healthy. Maybe I should try the rooster dance again.

:rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Most of my older gals are on an egg-laying hiatus, inchy. I wouldn't worry much, as she will pick up again towards the end of Feb, if not sooner.

One of my oldsters just started laying again since her molt in Aug! That old familiar egg~of dinosaur proportions and tubular shape~was a welcome site....I was afraid I would have to cull her this year and I like her lots. :p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just starting to do so again, as my new pullets are starting to lay. I'm needing to make a sign for out by the road....I posted about it on my journal, I think.