hen stopped laying

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
How much do you sell them for? I was selling to my mom for $2/dz, but if I were to sell to other I would have charged $3/dz at the time. Since my feed has gone up in price, I was thinking $3.50/dz. Mine are fed 100% organic.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I sell to the locals right now for $2, but will be selling at roadside for $3 or $3.50 this spring and summer. Mine aren't fed organic grains as I have no source for these here....heck, I have to drive 27 miles one way to get feed that isn't medicated or have animal byproducts in it!

But, they are free ranged, no meds, no vaccines, no chemicals...so I want a little more for them. The locals aren't concerned with all that at all, so they are a hard sell, but the tourists will pay for quality and for a certain "look". Which is why all my eggs are brown! :p

Since the locals would never, ever buy organic or free range eggs from the store, I can't price mine according to how much the local store charges for these types of eggs.....wish I could, though! :(

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
With the girls slow on laying I can't keep orders filled to locals at $3 a dozen. My customers keep asking if the price is still the same, I think they expect it to go up. So I have been telling them it is the same but feed costs have risen. I guess I am priming them for an increase this spring. We are so lucky to have a feed store in town that mixes their own grains and can produce a good feed.

I wish everyone could have customers that understand and will pay for free range eggs.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Mine are an assortment, 2 brown, 1 green & 1 white egg layers. At first my mom wanted only brown till I convienced her that the green were the same as the brown, now she will eat them all. I did not intend on getting a white layer, she just showed up on my doorstep one morning over a yr ago & stayed, I figure since I have been feeding her all this time she is mine now. I was contemplating breeding her with the leghorn rooster we have but I really want more brown layers as that is more the demand with customers, I will save her eggs for my family then.
Even though we are on opposite ends of the country the prices seem to be the same don't they?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Amen to that! :clap Me also! But, in all reality, if I can just sell them for what I'm asking now, I would still be making a tremendous profit in a year's time. And that's all I'm interested in! Making a profit and recouping feed costs and thinking about all the little brown packages of sunny goodness I'm sending out into the world! :)

Nutrition in a perfect package, providing food for others....what a great feeling! :cool:

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Your right beekissed, I am looking at increasing my hen numbers so I can increase the number of eggs i sell each month to at least cover the feed bill each month & then our eggs are essentially free! If I can make a profit that would be a big bonus!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Still waiting on those ducks of mine

::tap tap tap tap:::

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just found a secret nest. I decided to clean out the coop last week and put in new straw before the single digit temps got here. I moved a couple bales that are used for insulation and behind them I found 8 eggs :ep Now I check this spot every day. Even with that, I only get 4-5 a week from my 7 hens.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's pretty good, though, Joe. I have 28 potential layers and am only getting 13-16 a day. Some of the new pullets are just turning 6 mo. old and some of the older gals haven't laid since molting in Aug. and Sept. I have a few of the old gals laying and all my New Hamp pullets, some of my Dom pullets, and some of the White Rocks pullets....the rest of the new gals are dragging their claws on the whole laying idea. In March or April I will cull all nonlayers and see where we stand.

For now, the deep red combs of the layers are so cheery a color in my coop and against the snow, that it warms my heart....I love seeing those crayon red combs! :)

Latest posts