Hen Turning into Rooster-How to Reverse

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Interesting that your hen is crowing now and the rooster is challenging her. I searched and found a blog that states almost 1 in 10,000 hens will spontaneously sex change - mostly due to damage to the primary ovary. If that is the case, I wonder if human estrogen will work for a chicken?
It will be interesting to find out.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw that ratio also 1 in 10,000...and I've three previous hens that started crowing, but not to the extent as this one. I didn't try to "cure" them. One died early, since she was also cannibalistic, and mounting the other hens.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How old is she? And you have a rooster already? The one that happened in my parent's flock over a decade ago changed because we didn't have a rooster. I don't recall if she changed back or what happened to her.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How old is she? And you have a rooster already? The one that happened in my parent's flock over a decade ago changed because we didn't have a rooster. I don't recall if she changed back or what happened to her.
She is four years old.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've been keeping chickens for almost 45 years now and only had one hen develop more male characteristics and that was when I was temporarily without a rooster....she never crowed but did develop small spurs and was mounting hens. Upon getting a sexually mature alternative, the hen reverted to female attributes only.

I'm wondering if your male is infertile due to one reason or another? Could be why you have experienced such an anomaly so frequently in your flocks?

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So far, not really any improvements. Sometimes I think she's not crowing as much, but maybe it's because I want to think that. She's getting to be really tame by me handling her every morning.