Hen23's Journal~Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh thank you for the pics. i now live in the deep south butI grew up in chicopee mass. and every year we would go with the school to osv. I have told my children about it many times and am glad to see it is still open. The thought just hit me that those visits year by year is prob. the reason I love that eara and always have thought I was born at the wrong time in history. Am not from a farming family never even had pets growing up. But still drawn to that simpler way of life. Hmmm.
Thanks again cant wait to show the kids the pics.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Because of a disease that affected some crop that also affected currants and another berry....gooseberries, maybe? The law was in many states but was lifted in some because the new varieties aren't a problem.

My town dips down into CT so I don't see why I can't have some.....
Yup, you're practically in CT!
I knew about the problems with currants but didn't realize you still couldn't have them legally up there. My problem is finding them!! Everyone seems to have forgotten about them. I'm reduced to grocery store currant jam. Blech!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
:ep

I wouldn't be too keen on having to wear a straw hat - But do they allow live-ins???
BB, it would be right up your alley~if they had any goats!! No goats!!!!!!!!!! :ep Can you imagine???
They claim the straw hats keep them cool in the summer, but I dunno? I hate having a hat on when it's really hot.
Thanks for the compliments. I really think it's hard to get a bad picture there! I have about 48 more to prove it! :lol:
FF you're so welcome. I hope my DS has the same fond memories when he's grown up. I worry that we drag him up there too often but he never seems to have a bad time once he's there. Yesterday he decided he wants to learn to handsew. So we are going to make a small pillow case out of some cool fabric he chose with jazz musicians all over it. He is also learning to milk! He's not half bad. I worry that his hands aren't strong enough and that he could cause something not good if he's sending the milk in the wrong direction. He's gotten a few good squirts out of the Donkster though. I'm walking a fine line between discouraging him and making sure he's doing it right. I got almost 5 cups this morning! I've got another batch of yogurt going (my dad's request). I still have gallons in the fridge so cheese is on the list too. Mom would like some mozzarella since she's not a fan of yogurt unless it's full of artificial sweetener and chemicals and no fat. She's been using goats milk on her cereal, a step up from her usual skim. Baby steps I guess.
I'd love to say it's going to be a quiet day getting stuff done around the house but I'd be lying. We'll get some done this morning but we have to go across town to feed and water some friends' cat. The trick will be that they want Miss Emma to stay indoors while they're gone and Miss Emma is likely to have other ideas! DS's end of the year gymnastics show is at 4. This is most likely going to be his last since they want to move him to the competition team next year and he doesn't want to compete. I also do not want to be paying $$$$ for team membership when I'm going to be paying school tuition again. He's been there forever though so it will be hard to say goodbye today. He started when he was 2 1/2 and he's now 8.
DH has graduation tonight and then has to pack up for the big event tomorrow. He's trading vehicles with a friend so this guy is coming over tonight to do that. Tomorrow I am picking up his 12 yo son to bring with us. DH had agreed that he would bring P. with him but he's not going to have time for the kid. DS loves this kid and he's a great kid so I don't mind doing it. Since the event is bigger than just the hovercraft race I can walk the boys around to do and see other things. I'll have to pack some food at some point.

Currants=White Pine Blister Rust. Having a hard time finding specific info online, at least any that is not contradictory!

I wish you could all go to OSV. Free and anyone else close, we're members and I think can get guests in at a discount! Just let me know :D Local libraries sometimes have passes you can check out too!

Free, isn't Ocean State the BEST???
The book is awesome and makes me drool when I look at the pics! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hm~ it just occured to me that 29 years ago today I graduated high school. :/ How can that be????

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Today was DS's gym-fest when the parents got to sit in the gym and watch the kids' routines. It was his 6th and last. He was selected for the beginners' team next year but that means two practices a week and $$$ each month in fees. I just can't see us doing it and paying school tuition. Very bittersweet to dwell on how far he has come since he was 2 and a half!

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Oh yeah, he stuck the landing!
Everyone is kind of watching their own kids do their thing. Very three ring circus atmosphere. But when DS did that routine they all applauded him! He was one of only two boys in the whole group and got a lot of notice. Especially when the other boy was late and DS had to do the Macarana solo!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
:barnie nononononono
I've got broody ducks!! No!!! I don't want broody ducks!! I don't want more ducks. Just today I was wishing I could turn all 7 of them into another goat. :hide Two of them were on the nest they built between the stone wall and the dog fence. Right up against the woods where the wild things are. We couldn't leave them. One got up as DH approached and went in the house when big Leo told her to. The other stayed on that nest and defended it. DH got a net and pulled her off. We put all the eggs in a rabbit cage and put her in there with them but she didn't want to stay. We'll leave them and see if she goes back tomorrow. The only other bird I've had go broody got killed by a fox when we couldn't find to bring her in. Ugh. As much as these ducks were annoying me getting into the goat pen (we solved that problem) I don't want them getting eaten. So the nest is moved. Maybe we'll just have broken the whole cycle? I'm new at this so I don't honestly know what we should have done. :hu

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can break up broody hens so I imagine you can do the same with ducks, no? Except I break up a hen by cooling her jets in a bucket of water, I don't think that would work with ducks!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We always broke up a broody hen by placing her in a cage that has a wire bottom. That might work.

The BEST way I know of for not having any more baby ducks is have MORE homemade duck egg custard! Egg noodles are also great ... but of course NOT GF. :/ Duck eggs are great to bake with!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lovely photos! And your son is just as cute as ever :)

Status
Not open for further replies.