Status
Not open for further replies.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Henrietta23 said:
I wish I was handier.
Stop wishin' and grab a hammer girl! First of all NONE of us were handy in the beginning - trial and error and we learn and get better. You would be amazed what you CAN do.
I'm with Farm on this one! After all, I'm the girl who was afraid of power tools - remember? I recently built a brooder! :D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Farmfresh said:
Henrietta23 said:
I wish I was handier.
Stop wishin' and grab a hammer girl! First of all NONE of us were handy in the beginning - trial and error and we learn and get better. You would be amazed what you CAN do.
I'm with Farm on this one! After all, I'm the girl who was afraid of power tools - remember? I recently built a brooder! :D
:hide You are going to shame into it.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Enjoy the Science Center for the hottest hours of the day. Then grab that hammer, and go try. It's not rocket science and he may join in and help you get it done.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Enjoy the Science Center for the hottest hours of the day. Then grab that hammer, and go try. It's not rocket science and he may join in and help you get it done.
Good plan. May not happen tonight but it's a great way to go about it. It may work better next week when he's off from work and DS is at camp. Lots of nice cool evenings.
Right now he is watching DS ride his bike up and down the street.
I enjoyed the Science Center. I thought DS did too. Until he said in the car that he would have had more fun with Dad. :he Nice. He was mostly ticked off that I wouldn't buy him cheap garbage in the gift shop. They have some nice things, but really expensive. Anything affordable isn't worth paying for. :duc Can't win.

Panther Creek Homestead

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You just did win. Teaching him that you don't need the junk that everyone tries to sell you and that if he saves his money he can by something better that he will like longer. He may not see the lesson now but he will thank you for it in the future.

Okay I for one was terrified of power tools. But this summer was side seat sawing and hubby got a little ticked and said FINE you do it. Well don't throw down the gauntlet(sp?) to me. Not to be shown up I picked up the skil saw and prayed I wouldn't cut off an arm. Sawed out the rest of the lumber. SHOWED YOU DIDN"T I!

Just give it a whirl. It is sometimes really nice for someoen to show you, but don't give up if you have to learn yourself.

Sheila

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
There's a basement full of finger eaters down there.....

Right now it's the heat and the virus I'm fighting keeping me down. He's making very nice pickets and it will be a beautiful fence when he's done, 30 years or so from now. I'm putting in metal T posts and chicken wiring it.... that's how I did my garlic bed. I need to do the berry corner too. Except I've lost the blueberries in the heat. The currant is doing fine.
I know I'm whiney and acting like I'm not listening or taking everyone's advice. It really is the heat and I'm being a big whimp. I feel like crud and the Science Center sucked the energy out of me.
I did however get us there, park in a parking garage and FIND the car when we were done, got us back on the highway and home again without the GPS. I've lost my nerve driving in the city somewhat so it was a good feeling to get that back.
Not getting him anything in the gift shop was a success, I know. Reminds me of the lecture I gave him over cereal boxes with prizes you had to send away for. An elderly lady all but applauded when I was done. "Good for you honey!" DS was all of two. But he can recite a bunch of tricks manufacturers use to try and get our money from us. Not that we don't give in once in a while. But usually he has to work for the money he wants to blow on junk.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Anybody remember me talking about the sewing machine cabinet DH scored a month or so back? I swear Free, or someone else, posted a pic on this thread of a table made from a sewing machine cabinet. I just spent a loooooong time reading back through my thread and can't find the pic. I did a search on sewing machine cabinets and this thread comes up so I'm sure it's on here. :barnie

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive!

It was me and it came down when house cleaning. Here it is just for you! :love

266_sewing2.jpg

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used to get irritated at my mom for not wanting to buy all manner of chintzy nonsense, but now I'm happy she didn't. I can't believe it when I see a kid sitting in a cart playing a PSP while the mom shops and ignores him... I also amazed at the amount of people who pay to get fake nails. Good job driving in a city. I'm not good at it, and usually end up accidentally driving in a loading zone, panicking, and parking in the first garage I can find whether or not it's close to our destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.