HennyPenny's random thoughts. New set of goals!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Someone went in your fridge and opened a bottle of YOUR milk, and then told you to throw it out??

And I put the food dishes outside, and put the cat in the garage but someone let him back in the house that day. I was so mad! And I have two very large cat trees that I can't really move, so they'll always know I have a cat. And my cat uses the human toilet, so no litter box smell.

I could clean the fridge, though. Goodness knows it needs it. :lol:

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeeessssssssssssssss! I have found the winner! I made this bread today and it came out PERFECT. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/toast-and-sandwich-bread-recipe All the plain white bread recipes are so similar, it was driving me crazy! Either they were too sweet or dense or crumbly. This one is just right!

Well. It could also be that I went ALL OUT for this loaf. I used yeast from a jar, not a packet. (the recipe calls for instant, which I don't have) I rolled out the dough after it raised the first time, AND I put a pan of water underneath, on the bottom of the oven. So I just tried all the advice I've gotten. No idea what it was, the recpie, the yeast, or the technices.

I didn't think it would turn out, because the dough was WAY harder to knead and seemed drier than all the other times I made bread. But what do I know??

...I'm really happy. Will post pics later.

I have eaten like half the loaf already.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Congratulations Henny!

Eat some of that delicious bread for me! It has been one year and two months since I found out I am Celiac (no wheat) and I actually dream about bread sometimes.

It is such a feeling of success to finally make that perfect loaf. Now they will come easier and easier till soon each loaf is perfection!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Congratulations, HP! Now hand print that recipe out, laminate it or put it in a plastic sleeve and you have just started your own "favorite recipes" cookbook! ;)

My mom died almost 19 years ago, and my grandmothers' more than 30. Some of my favorite recipes are ones they took the time to write down and save.

edited for typo

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks you two! Pics are still coming, I seem to have misplaced my camera cord, though. :/

About a week ago I switched shampoo to castile soap... At first I was soooo disappointed! It left this horrible residue that made my hair icky! So I googled it, and found that I needed to switch my normal conditioner to an apple cider vinegar rinse. So I did. OMG. Awesome. It took the residue out, and detangled like a DREAM. It's just diluted by half with water in a spray bottle. My hair still gets oily a bit sooner than with my old shampoo/conditioner but I bet that it's the shock of taking away all the chemicals I used to put in there. Maybe? Anyone do this before?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I make all of my own soaps, laundry soap, and moisturizer - but I confess I still BUY shampoo. I tried a homemade recipe a few times experienced the "leavens" and went right back to my standard shampoo. (guilty) :idunno

I have wanted to try again but have still not been brave enough. ... Maybe I just lack that "perfect recipe"?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I know one of my sisters uses castile liquid soap with rosemary essential oil mixed into it. I don't know what she does for a rinse.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I actually MAKE a very nice castile soap - Hmm :/

Perhaps I just need to try a liquid form of that. The last shampoo recipe I made was complex and had lots of heavy oils in it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
My hair still gets oily a bit sooner than with my old shampoo/conditioner but I bet that it's the shock of taking away all the chemicals I used to put in there. Maybe? Anyone do this before?
Wish I could say I have experience, but no.....I have read, though, that it can take 1-3 weeks (or more) for your scalp and oil glands to adjust to the new 'poo. One source said to start at the beginning of a 2-week vacation, because your hair might be an oily mess for a while!

I want to try, but have very short hair so even a little greasiness makes me look too icky. I hope you gals figure out something great that I will dare to try!

(No two week vacations on the horizon..... :rolleyes: )

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks! I just realized that the castile soap I picked up at Trader Joe's may not be the highest quality, and it has added glycerin, which I learned is bad.

Certain soaps can be used to create your own hair care products. But not all of them. Any soap with ADDED GLYCERIN will make your hair greasy. All soap has glycerin in it naturally, but ADDED GLYCERIN is the devil. Stay away. No, RUN AWAY !!!!!
http://www.littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2008/07/homemade-toiletries.html It's a blog, so it's okay to link I think.

So when I run out I'll pick up this other one I found which is more expensive, but here are the ingredients.

Contains: Water, Saponified Organic Coconut and Olive Oils (with retained glycerin), organic Jojoba oil, organic Aloe Vera, and Rosemary extract.
I think they mean the glycerin is not added, it's just IN the olive oil. I think. Anyway, my hair is presentable, 'cause I put it in two braids. I've just been showering every other day, and with this, it makes me want to shower every day. I also read that you're supposed to dilute the soap by half. I'm going to try that. If I really can't stand it for shampoo, I can always use it just as a body wash, or in a bath, or to wash my hands with, or a general purpose cleanser.

I can't say enough about the vinegar rinse. It doesn't give the same feeling as commercial conditioner, but my hair has NO tangles, and is very soft, when I use the ACV. I didn't even do the spiffy herbal recipe. It says to take the amount of water you're going to dilute the vinegar with, and brew a very strong herbal tea with it. Then poof! Herbal vinegar rinse! You can even pick the herbs based on your hair type!

Blonde: chamomile

Brown: sage, rosemary, dandelion

Red: calendula flowers

Dandruff: sage, lemongrass