Hen's kefir and kombucha thread-is it ready??

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I peeked and I swear Luna has grown!!! She is looking more and more like the man in the moon. Should I be encouraged or frightened??
I think I am going to attempt kimchee this week. I've got plenty of whey and need to do something with it. I've got tomatoes from a friend so I might do the lacto-fermented fire roasted tomato salsa as well. In my spare time, ya know!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Encouraged. She should clone herself in a week or two!

You will find the fermenting project takes longer to read about than to actually do!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:

You will find the fermenting project takes longer to read about than to actually do!
Good thing!! Luna really does look as though she might be "expecting" LoL. DH thinks I've gone nuts. DS KNOWS I've gone nuts; he caught me talking to her......

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
freemotion said:

Good thing!! Luna really does look as though she might be "expecting" LoL. DH thinks I've gone nuts. DS KNOWS I've gone nuts; he caught me talking to her......
Wait till you hear your kids yell and go into the kitchen to find your Luna "breathing"!
We had a Scoby that would "burp" every so many seconds and it really looked like it was breathing-- freaked my daughter right out! :lol: Probably didn't help that we watched the old movie "The Blob" earlier that week! lol

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Henrietta23 said:
freemotion said:

Wait till you hear your kids yell and go into the kitchen to find your Luna "breathing"!
We had a Scoby that would "burp" every so many seconds and it really looked like it was breathing-- freaked my daughter right out! :lol: Probably didn't help that we watched the old movie "The Blob" earlier that week! lol
:yuckyuck And I thought that hearing her talk back would be a true sing I'd gone nuts!! Well, at least I'm not alone!

I'm going to tip toe to her cupboard door and listen in....

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Henrietta23 said:
:lol: Don't feel bad, I talk to mine too!
:frow

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Just put the Partridge Family in fresh milk. I've got two really plump grains in there now! I detect a faint yogurty scent too! :weee
Luna is not talking back yet but she's definitely grown. DH eyes that cupboard warily.... he's not sure about this. He's had kombucha from Whole Foods and likes it. Don't know if he'll brave drinking the stuff from "the cupboard of darkness".

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Okay, so the kefir is starting to smell like something that won't necessarily kill me if I drink it. Is it ready for more milk? Once I increase the milk what do I do? Take some of the finished product, refridgerate it and start a new batch with the grains? The dogs now run to my side when I go to the pantry where the Partridge Family rest on their shelf. They love this stuff!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Keep doing what you are doing...straining the grain out and starting a new batch daily. Adjust the amount of milk according to how much kefir you want to make, up to a quart.

Enjoy the kefir in shakes, with fruit like thin yogurt, or strained and used like sour cream in dips and dressings. Yum! And the whey can be used to start veggie ferments and in baking, when the recipe calls for things like buttermilk.