Herb gardens.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Pots can be handy, but in Colorado, if you aren't careful those pots become cooking pots instead of growing pots. No terra cotta...dries out to fast. Be prepared to water at least once a day. Moisture holding crystals added to the soil is a good idea too. Better yet, set up a self-watering system.
My herb pots look more like this.
ThymeNLettucea.JPG

The second pot is Thyme and the first one in the picture is lettuce. These are made from 30 gallon recycled soft drink syrup drums. I put about 2 inches of large gravel in the bottom and drill several small holes around the sides of the container about 2 or so inches up from the bottom. This allows a reservoir of water to remain in the bottom of the pot without rotting the roots. It can get MIGHTY hot and dry in Missouri as well, so this helps keep my plants from drying out and baking it the sun.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
guess what I'm getting................... give up?

someone else's trash!! YEAH!!

ok, so here's my plan.

This lady is giving me her old black hard plastic pond liner. I'm gonna drill some holes in the bottom, dig a big hole, fill it will rock and dirt and compost and stuff, and make that my perennial herb garden. That way the mint and stuff can have plenty of room to grow without taking over the back 40.

I'm excited!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That is GREAT! Should work wonderfully. I would still add some gravel in the bottom and perhaps make the majority of drainage holes in the side instead of the bottom.

Are you going to dig it in or simply keep it above ground?

You should get on line as well and look for a place to buy some bulk compost. It will take a lot of compost to fill up a planter as big as that.