Herb gardens.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am wanting to grow an herb garden this year and dry the herbs to keep for making teas and medicinal home remedies. I was wondering what type of basil is best for growing. I have seen all kinds of different flavors such as lemon, lime, cinnamon and spicy flavors. Have any of you used any of these. What is the kind that you normally cook with? I have some that we normally buy in a bottle the cheapo .50 cent kind but it just says basil and I use it alot.
I love this thread!

Oh, thought I would share this ebay seller. I am buying tons of seed there right now. Lots of seed come in the packets he's selling. Would be great for getting extra's to trade at a cheap price too.

http://stores.ebay.com/grocoseeds

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Not sure what area/zone that you are in, but most Basils are annual so you could simply choose the variety that appeals to you. Lime has a smaller leaf and used for more Asian dishes.
Spicey anything appeals to me!

The Genovese (Italian)large leaf Basil is most often what comes in spice jars unless specified differently. It is very productive. The thing about most Basil is that you need to pick the leaves before flowering or the leaves turn bitter. I've had some pretty horrid pesto made from end of season basil. Maybe I am spoiled, lol.
That said, Basil flowers can be collected and used for salads and teas.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Not sure what area/zone that you are in, but most Basils are annual so you could simply choose the variety that appeals to you. Lime has a smaller leaf and used for more Asian dishes.
Spicey anything appeals to me!

The Genovese (Italian)large leaf Basil is most often what comes in spice jars unless specified differently. It is very productive. The thing about most Basil is that you need to pick the leaves before flowering or the leaves turn bitter. I've had some pretty horrid pesto made from end of season basil. Maybe I am spoiled, lol.
That said, Basil flowers can be collected and used for salads and teas.
I live in Ky. zone 6 . I am wanting to grow some herbs for drying and I also found that you can harvest your herbs , chop them up and put them in ice cube trays , pour boiling water on them and freeze them for use later as fresh herbs. I can't wait to get my garden growing. Thanks for the info on the basil. I have never eaten pesto, but have heared alot of talk about it. Sounds yummy.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My FAVORITE thing to do with my herbs is dehydrate them. I bought my dehydrator an American Harvest with fan, basically the older version of this one dehydrator at a garage sale for $5.00 about 20 (!!) years ago. It has worked like a charm.

I wash the herbs in cool water swishing them well, spin in a salad spinner and then dehydrate. If I have too much to use right away (and you WILL) simply package some of the dry herbs up well in a jar or good ziplock bag and freeze to keep it fresh and wonderful!!

Here is a blurry picture of the herbs I took to the MO State Fair last year. There is (l to r) Parsley, Rosemary, Dill, Oregano, and Lemon Thyme all of which I grew last year.
show%20herbs2.JPG

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
My FAVORITE thing to do with my herbs is dehydrate them. I bought my dehydrator an American Harvest with fan, basically the older version of this one dehydrator at a garage sale for $5.00 about 20 (!!) years ago. It has worked like a charm.

I wash the herbs in cool water swishing them well, spin in a salad spinner and then dehydrate. If I have too much to use right away (and you WILL) simply package some of the dry herbs up well in a jar or good ziplock bag and freeze to keep it fresh and wonderful!!

Here is a blurry picture of the herbs I took to the MO State Fair last year. There is (l to r) Parsley, Rosemary, Dill, Oregano, and Lemon Thyme all of which I grew last year.
http://www.ubuilderplans.com/img/personal/show herbs2.JPG
Thanks for the info. Those look great! Can't wait to get growin!:):)

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm stuck on how to lay out the herb garden. what to put where and by what, for both best growing and how it looks.

any suggestions or website?

I can't design anything

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
I'm stuck on how to lay out the herb garden. what to put where and by what, for both best growing and how it looks.

any suggestions or website?

I can't design anything
Do you have an herb society nearby or botanical garden? They would have great suggestions about what does well for your area, styles, etc.
I'd look at the herbs you're interested in growing to determine height and make certain not to plant tall growing herbs in front of lower growing plants so they don't block the sun, to begin with.

I designed mine as a parterre garden. You can google that. My hedges that surround each bed are lavender because I use tons of it and it can be trimmed. Mine is a very complicated pattern that I designed but they don't have to be. Knot designs are retro victorian.

I group similar herbs, like thymes in one bed, pineapple-y flavored herbs in another, winter and summer savory in theirs, lemon verbena with lemongrass and lemonbalm.
Some people have an Italian herb section, French, Asian, Mexican. It's up to you.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I do most of my herbs in big pots. Pretty easy. That way if I don't like the way I "planted" one thing near another ... I just move the pot! :gig

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
do different flavors of the same plant cross pollinate? (lemon basil, cinnamon basil, Italian basil, etc.)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I imagine they would IF you saved the seeds to plant. I usually just take divisions or start plants anew with purchased seeds.