Herb Suggestions

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I posted this on TEG, but I think you guys might be a good resource, too. I'm planning a pretty decent-sized herb garden next year. I know what culinary herbs I want to grow, but what do you suggest for medicinal herbs?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How about:
St. John's Wort
Echinacea (Purple cone Flower)
Chamomile
Stevia

What culinary herbs are you planning on growing?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yarrow~rheumatism, toothache, hemorrhage, and fever.

Tarragon~toothaches, digestive problems, insomnia, snakebite.

Borage~ coughs, colds, depression, arteriosclerosis.

Calendula~antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, gastric disorders, gangrene. Also used as a coloring agent in butters, cheese and hair rinses.

Lavender~antiseptic, cough suppressant, headaches and nervous disorders.

Lemon Balm~ blood pressure, colds, flu, nervous tension, insomnia, gastric upset.

Bergamot~ anti-depressant, antiseptic for wounds, ulcers, acne, also good for nausea and flatulence.

Sage~depression, anxiety, liver disorders, circulation, menopause, antiseptic for laryngitis and tonsillitis.

These would be a nice little start and all can be used for culinary purposes also. Many of them are bee and butterfly attractants. There are tons more that are beneficial but these are a great group with which to start.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to grow basil, parsley, dill, mint, and chives as culinary herbs.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am reading a wonderfull book, given to me by a great friend. This home based company was mentioned as a great source of hard to find veg.seeds, herbs, and flowers.

http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com

Check this out. I know where I am ordering from. Great prices as well!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Curly
you got great suggestions

be aware and read up on the aggressiveness of some plants. Mint can literally take over your entire herb garden!! Alot of people plant in pots to contain it. Nothing worse than a true, hard to kill runner! :)

So before you plant, read up on how each plant will react.

(I was one who planted mint and some others and WOW, what a time getting rid of it...LOL)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
There was an herb/flower I would use with warm olive oil and I made a poultice out of it for my husbands back when he has his back pain....I can't remember what it is called. I would heat river rock in hot water, wrap them in a wash cloth, and place them on his back ontop of the olive oil/herb mix. He said it helped his back pain quite a bit.

I will have to look it up again, get back to ya!

ETA: Found it! It is Arnica! I need some more of it, as I ran out awhile ago!! I used a mortar and pestle to mix the arnica flowers and olive oil together.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Hi Curly
be aware and read up on the aggressiveness of some plants. Mint can literally take over your entire herb garden!! Alot of people plant in pots to contain it. Nothing worse than a true, hard to kill runner! :)
I actually planted some of it in my "bad" bed that only gets sun after 3 pm. That seems to keep it in check, but if I move it, it's going into a pot. :coolsun