Herb Suggestions

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Instead of starting a new thread thought I would pull this one back up since it already has so much info.

I want to start a new expanded herb garden. All I have now is Rosemary (and lots of it), thyme, lavander and chives. I neglected my taragon so it died. I also have several types of mint.

I am going to create a new garden spot and I am considering using a wagon wheel shape with some in ground plants and some plants like the invasive mint in pots.

I would like some suggestions on hearty in ground non-invasive herbs that like full sun for my new plan. Remember, I am in the Deep South so our summers are hot and dry. And I need herbs in ground that will survive that.

Also open to suggestions for potted herbs that may not like hot dry Mississippi summers.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey 2dream
I think you need to truly list what you use.....what you might dry and store too.

And like you, I have very hot summers and we are in drought for the last 2 years thru the hot months, so I know what you mean needing those full sun hardy plants.

There are alot of herbs I don't use. Tony being Tony, and hates alot of herbs, Arghh...I plant very limited amts.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
2dream said:
Instead of starting a new thread thought I would pull this one back up since it already has so much info.

I want to start a new expanded herb garden. All I have now is Rosemary (and lots of it), thyme, lavander and chives. I neglected my taragon so it died. I also have several types of mint.

I am going to create a new garden spot and I am considering using a wagon wheel shape with some in ground plants and some plants like the invasive mint in pots.

I would like some suggestions on hearty in ground non-invasive herbs that like full sun for my new plan. Remember, I am in the Deep South so our summers are hot and dry. And I need herbs in ground that will survive that.

Also open to suggestions for potted herbs that may not like hot dry Mississippi summers.
When we were in Texas (Houston area), we grew rosemary and lavender as hedges. Sages, mints, greens (like sorrel), fennel, dill, thymes, chamomile, marjoram, savory, borage, tarragon and basil in the ground or in containers. I like container gardening with herbs because you can bring them indoors during weather extremes.

I found this on the internet:

http://msucares.com/lawn/herbs/index.html

And I found this in my files about a wheel garden:

The wheel garden is made with a heavy wagon wheel. The herbs planted in it should not be too tall growing or the effect of the division by the spokes will be lost. After obtaining a suitable wheel, select a sunny spot on level ground or a gentle slope. Mark around wheel, then dig out the center for hub - the rim should set on the ground. Fill spaces between herbs with sandy loam. If any of the spaces are to be filled with mints, stick plates of metal - old license plates or sheet iron - around the boundary of the mint to prevent it creeping into adjacent beds. Although you can plant most any herbs in this wheel bed, the lower growing varieties make an especially pleasant pattern: parsley, chives, garden thyme, orange or apple mints, lungwort, dietary of crete, thrift, dead nettle - and such annuals as dwarf basil, sweet marjoram, chervil, summer savory, coriander.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
KJM - Great website. Explains my taragon loss. LOL

Thanks for the list too. All those sound good. Will do some more research to see how they will fare in my soil.

FC - As for the herbs we use - We use everything. Both DH and myself are big experimenters when cooking. I buy a lot of things so nothing is off limits and everything would be harvested, used fresh and dried.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
See if you can find spicy globe basil. I LOVE it.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Wifezilla - that sounds like a good one. Adding to my list of will work in my new herb garden.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Great site Mackay - thanks a million. And garlic is on my list - just kind of late and even though I have found several sites that says it is not to late to plant in my area I sure am having a hard time finding any to plant.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
You could try planting garlic from the grocery store. When planting garlic, plant the bigger cloves so you'll get nice big bulbs.

I strongly recommend an aloe vera plant. It is a succulent. It is great for burns as well as for rashes and mystery skin problems. It also helps prevent scars. You can put it on poisen oak or ivy and repeat every 20 minutes, you'll be amazed at the relief it provides.
I've read that some people react badly to it, but I've never heard of anyone, could just be one of those scares put out to prevent us from treating ourselves with homegrown medicines. I have not been without aloe vera since I moved out of my parent's house 35 years ago.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have several aloe plants. Do you just break them open to use them, or do you do something else to the aloe to use it?

Latest posts