Herbal Studies

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I'm doing without a normal job, not necessarily by choice at the moment. I say that to say...KEEP what ya got for now!
Been there, done that too. Hang in there. Fortunately you have SS skills to fall back on, so you don't fall down on all fours. But I hear you. Again....I'm just setting myself up as good as I can, until (if ever) that day comes. Believe me....I will figure out something.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We ll do ;) We're pretty resillient folks round here :D

RedneckCowgirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've been considering taking 2 of Penn-fosters courses, do you think that they are worth it? I'm looking into both the homeopathy certificate and the herbal studies certificate to go along with my vet tech degree.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they are worth it to everyone. I'm not sure I will ever make a penny on it, but I'm almost positive I will be healthier and be able to help a few of my very close contacts. Its a preparation thing for me. Kinda a gift I'm giving myself. I may decide to expand upon my knowledge later on if I feel I want to actually earn a living with it. Don't get me wrong.....I may be able to use the certificate and get it endorsed locally, so I can pedal or set up shop here, but I'm not absolutely sure how far I want to take herbal studies. For now, its for my families sake, and that to me is worth the small investment I have made. I already have hundreds of possible recipes to put together for overall health as well as remedies for illnesses.

Melinda_710split

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Anytime you increase your knowledge, it's not a waste of time or money. Learning about medicinal herbs isn't something you can just go take classes about at any school. Well, none that I know of anyway. I also think that correspondence school gets a bad reputation from many people. They jump to the conclusion that you don't learn a thing from the course, even though they have never seen the cirriculum. We can all think of people who went to a formal school and came out with no knowledge. It's the individual person that makes any course valid. Some of the best computer people in the world learned totally from trial and error, and never went to college. You are on the right track with taking the course. Just think about how much you'll know a year from now. I also agree with you, if you get enough people to follow along with you and take the course, they should at least give you a huge discount. Kinda like 10 bucks off of your dues for every person you recommend to the course and they sign up for it. Why not? Dish Network and DirectTV do it.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Heh, I'd send you some dandelions but I don't think they are growing strong right now anyway, which may be why you aren't seeing too many of them.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To tell the truth, I'm mildly curious about what it would be like on the plate. But I was equally interested in poke weed and whatever I did, mustn't have been right because what I came out with wasn't anything to sing a song about. But thanks for the offer on the dandelions. I don't think it will be a problem getting some started if I can just spot a couple of them in the wild. I figure I can just wait until they go into seed and collect away. At the moment I only know where one single plant is and its in danger of being rolled over by any passing vehicle. It will be in serious danger if one of my co-workers reports to the boss that our vegetation is getting out of control because the boss likes poison more than weedeaters and lawnmowers.
And I really like the way Melinda's mind works....hope the administration at PF feels the same.
I agree its never a waste to learn. I've learned a few interesting things over the years....auto-mechanics, Tae Kwon Do, nursing....I was just a few hours ago thinking that when I'm finished this, I might even want to get back into a few of my past interests before I forget everything. My brain has been doing crazy things like that for a day or 2. I think its because about 3 days ago, I was feeling about as bad as I have in a long time....physically speaking. I was dizzy in the afternoon and by night, I was nauseated,, but went to work anyway. By morning, I was determined I was going to obtain some 'power food.' After a while highly starchy foods start getting to me in a very negative way. Not sure it was that, but I began having a craving for tuna and salads. I went to the store with healthfood on my mind and left 95 dollars worse....but I feel sooo much better today. Seriously...ya'll should see the difference I just made in the kitchen. Think I might do a few flylady chores tomorrow, which usually help me in 10 or so different areas of my life. All cuz I feel so much better. Might as well not mess up a good thing. DS and DD just made a pass at the Dollar Store and came home with some junk, but I have resisted....drank some chamomile tea instead.
Now don't get mad at ole Rhoda....I know I went up in the rafters and flew all over the place, but its true...you feel good, you will get more work done...you get more organized and your whole life is a better place. At least thats how it works for me. 2 or 3 days of flying and I might catch up on all kinds of things. My studies are doing fine, but I need organization and some clean spots to be able to do some of the hands on work. And in both my textbooks they make reference to diet. One of the authors claims that you don't treat a disease unless you are prepared to also treat the diet. If I can continue eating good, so that I can feel good, rather than eat as a punishment so I can get beautiful, maybe my overall health will benefit....well I sure can't tell ya'll about next week, but today, I feel good. Gotta get ready for work now...nighty nite.

Melinda_710split

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone ever made any poke berry wine and use it for arthritis? Google it and see what information you come up with. I haven't made any but it could be interesting to try.

I have also been told by many people who eat poke berries for arthritis, to eat 5 a day. They have said NOT to eat the 5 all at once, but to start off with 1 berry for a week or two, then move up to 2 berries for a few weeks, then on and on like that until you've gotten up to the 5 a day. I have never tried this myself and I wouldn't suggest anyone try it, but to at least research it for one's self.

The elderberries are going to be ripe soon so it will be time to make some tincture.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of my text books claims Poke to be the chemotherapy of the herbal world. There are some parts of the plant that can have toxic effects. The roots and berries are supposed to be the most dangerous parts, but perhaps can be medicinal in very small amts. I did hear about a remedy to keep cold viruses from infecting a family which an old lady from the Rocky Mountain area used and passed on to her grandchildren, but I'd have to search it out again. I tried making poke salat, but I botched it. As far as I know, it can be a medicinal plant, but must be approached with caution. I have a ton of it in the woods and I plan on finding use for it eventually....as with about 30 other plants I know I have a stock pile of.
I have some ripe elder berries now and I want to make a wine to treat for pain and circulation. I was planning on mixing it with willow, ginger and perhaps something else, but not sure what....I'd have to put my mind to the task. The wine, I"m currently making is a cold remedy and I need to go deal with it. DH told me how to remove the scum off the top. I need a few more weeks of settling b4 I rack it. Wine making was his thing, until recently. This is part of why he will make a good herbal partner for me. He also is the brains behind our bee operation....he has the brains, but I have the calmness that the bees like.
I didn't study last night because I was tired, but I feel good right now. Flylady might go on a rampage. Happy herbing everyone....

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My husband had a heart attack yesterday. I spent a good amount of time in CCU with him yesterday and tried to study when it got to night time, but couldn't pay attention. Today they were strict on visiting rules. It is hardly worth it to go for a visit. We live an hour away, then I can only stay for an hour, then another hour coming home. Ya'll....I'm tired and I feel like I haven't even done a thing. Thats it. Just checking if anyone had any new info about herbs is all. Hopefully I can get back on track soon.