Herbal Studies

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am studying for my 9th test now and I will have to do it at home, on my off time, because I have work related drama and will be resuming nursing, part-time....night position. My feet hurt too much to work any other shift. But the good thing, is I will be spending much more time at home, farming and teaching. I now get paid for 84 hours of work, per check and in the future, I will be guaranteed 32 hours per check and will get almost the same money, but if I can pull just one more 8 hour shift on that pay period, I will get more, so plan on accepting one extra shift per 2 week period.
Need to get busy getting a little farm in shape, studying herbs and teaching some little girls their lessons. Hope I can do my next 3 tests in a timely manor.

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
My current textbook is called The Herbal Medicine Maker's Handbook (a home manual), by James Green. A group I have 'liked' on facebook, highly recommended it and I wasn't yet studying from it, but I ran in my room, located it and was glad I had it because my last textbook was boring me to death. Well, if anyone one wants a good herbal healing book, I think that might be the one to order. I have only just started and I think quite a lot of it. In the very first chapter you are getting detailed instructions on making a tincture with dandelion. I'm going to assume that this is a hands on book.
As far as herbal healing goes, I believe almost any of the books I have read, thus far (with the exception of the last), could lead someone in the right direction toward healthier food choices, remedies for ailments and tonics to strengthen systems. Each book had recipe after recipe of tinctures, salves, wines, vinegars, poultices, plasters and herbal steams. If someone wanted to learn just from this book or that book, there were remedies in plenty.
I"m glad I have them all, but just thought I'd throw that out there for ya'll consideration....you can attempt to make your own medicines with just a single book and get really good with the language and reasonings behind each herb, without going thru the expense I have gone thru.
I agree with you on this book. Maybe you saw the recommendation on Merriwether's Foraging Texas? I use his website and follow him on facebook and saw his comment on this book the other day and immediately did a bit of research on it and ordered it. I just received it last week but didn't had time to look at it until yesterday. I hadn't seen your comment on it, and was thinking about mentioning it when I read your post. I think it's going to be a great reference. So far, it's excellent and fun to read, too. I also recommend it.

The Herbal Medicine Maker's Handbook (a home manual), by James Green.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Studying continues, although without my bridge job, I have to put my foot down and read it at night, when I go to bed. I normally like to read for relaxation at that time; not studying. Oh well....getting there.
I broke down and bought a cabinet DH liked.....but only because I said it will be MY HERBAL REMEDY CABINET!!! Well, that set me back a little over 700. But heck it looks awesome and DH loves it.
Well DH bought a plant yesterday. Apparently its called a Hoyah (spelling?)....well, I never heard of it and I asked him if its medicinal. He looked it up and NO....it isn't. So I said, "Its a freeloader, then." And so I said I need to name it after a freeloader and right away he said, "Freddy." So Freddy will use one of my precious pots, take up my soil, require plant food or fertilizer, use up some water and what will he give me???? Nuttin. And he bought a birdnest fern today. I haven't looked it up, but I am thinking Freddy has a new companion.
I best step in soon and plant a bunch of things in some big pots, so we looked overloaded with plants and he can resist the temptation.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is sweet. At least his heart is in the right place. :lol:

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So it has been a year, I"m into Herbal Studies and I still have 3 tests to go and the school contacts me that it will cost me $75 to have a 6 month extention to get my certification. I can download the 3 tests and just finish it on my own, but I will only have the knowledge for myself and family.....which is all I might need anyway....or I can pay it and have the certification, just in case I actually need to prove my credentials. I'll probably pay the money and make sure I finish up. My life is getting somewhat clearer, even though weekends are a killer. Just thought I'd share this, in case anyone took the plunge. Finish in a year, if at all possible......although $75 won't kill you one way or the other, its better in your pocket than theirs.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would go with the certification. That way, you could set up in business if you want. Multiple streams of income-- important in uncertain times.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will. I've already spent 500....whats another 75? I'm off tonight and plan on studying. Hopefully I can find a few test questions in the book and be closer to taking my 9th test. Not sure if I have to pay the 75, before they let me submit another test, but I'll study anyway.
Time for me to leave for church......see ya'll.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is a lady at church who took that course, has her certification and she opened a herbal and tea shop. She is doing ok, not overloading the bank, but ok, especially for a new business. She is right on highway 59 and gets a lot of traveling traffic, but has her loyal local people too. It stinks that you have to pay the $75 because it is taking longer than a year. But I think you should get the certification.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'd be finished by now, if I'd have just kept my bridge job, but circumstances being as they were, I felt I needed to return to nursing. Oh well, I haven't been in touch with ya'll about my progress....super busy lately, I'm afraid. I took my 9th test in August and missed one. They told me which one I missed and gave me 30 days to retake it. I just retook it and have made 100%. Big shock huh....Of course I was gonna get it right, when I knew which one I missed. And immediately afterwards I took my 10 test, which I've been studying for and same thing happened. I missed one and have 30 days to retake it....and again, I know which question was wrong.
So now I come into the home stretch. I am ready to begin studying for my final test. I wish I could tell ya'll in the past few weeks some awesome new treatment, but my mind is a blank right now. Well, I am trying to lose a wart with a bandage I made, using bananna peel insides against the wart, with bandage tape securing it. I have also been advised by a woman, whose mother was something of an unofficial herbist, that her mom loved one book in particular.....Back to Eden, so I bought a copy and I can see why the lady liked it. Really easy to come up with a remedy because all the diagnosis are in alphabetical order, with lists of useful herbs to treat. She told me her mom would save avocado seeds and soak them in a glass jar filled with rubbing alcohol for a month or two and would use that to treat arthritis pains.
Anyway, I haven't fallen off the planet....still here and studying. Well, books are calling me.