Herbal Studies

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I took my final test about 20 minutes ago and made a 100%. My homepage says my average is a 95%, but its been that way for the past 2 or 3 tests, so I don't know if that is really accurate, because I should get a 100% for my last 3 tests, so seems to me I would have brought it up to a 96 or 97%, but 95% is still awesome.
So I guess I wait around and see if I get a certification in the mail in a week or so.
So, how do I feel???? I don't know. I suppose I feel more capable of handling a basic illness without a doctor. I am more aware of ways of becoming healthier, so that I can look forward to a day when treatment won't be a necessity. Strengthening and maintaining healthy (or almost healthy) systems are the ticket to having a sound, healthy body....much better than treating a known defect.
Now, to put it all into practice. Well, one thing at a time....A wise man told me a long time ago that sometimes when we look at the big picture, it can be over whelming, so take it one little piece at a time, tend to it and then you can move on to the next piece. I think I can handle filling a big pot with some good soil and decide to put a couple of seeds in it....that sure won't kill me.
HAPPY HERBING FRIENDS!!!!! Its been interesting and I guess it all begins (continues) now.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
YAY!! :weee WHOOP!! :ya WA-HOO!!:clap YIPPEE!! :celebrate AWESOME!! :woot MARVELOUS!!:bow YOU DID IT!!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanx everyone. In the middle of my 'work week' right now. Its not perfect weather for herbing locally....rainy. Plan on doing a little hands on work soon. Always something to do.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:thumbsup :ya Congrats!

So do you feel that you got your moneys worth from taking this? Would you recommend this to others? I am looking at this and another school.

I just look at their website and they no longer offer this is looks like. Bummer.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I feel it is worth it to me. When you consider a $500 investment, in the coarse of your lifetime, its really not that big. We spend money on stupid stuff and have nothing to show for it and when we realize the waste, we feel stupid. Well, I don't have the whole course, memorized, but I do own my books, study guides and test material to refer back on. I do have a spot of land to work with and lots of empty pots to plant in.
There is something relaxing about the earth.
If someone wants to make big money, provided they have a game plan and there is a local market, I guess they can, but they'd need to have a business mind also. Personally I went for the knowledge for my families benefit and kinda for insurance purposes, if you know what I mean.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am so glad I found this thread. I want to study herbs for my family use. I would also love to be able in the future to sell herbs at our little farm stand. First I need to try to find out what is the best way for me to learn. There is a local woman that has her own business and offers Classes. She charges $1200 for a year course. Right now I can't afford that. I thought I might be able to learn on my own for now. I was wondering what are the best books and other resources are that I should start studying. I loved reading all the post. Thanks

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Why don't you start by getting some second hand books on the subject, just to begin having several books to refer to. I've mentioned a few books in the thread, which I felt were worthy of consideration, but if you can get a few books for one cent, plus S&H off of amazon, why not do it. Also I origionally was doing some self-study, before I got into an official course and I went to the library and borrowed what I felt was their best book. I was so pumped up with it, that I was trying to memorize all the info (which is next to impossible), so I kept calling the library and telling them to let me borrow it another 2 weeks, etc.....
Look on Buy and Sell. One of the regulars on the forum had a bunch of books a while back to sell and I bought a shipment of about 10 books from him for $50.....I think. It might not be on the first page....you might have to dig deep into that section. Just a thought.
Not opposed to the 1,200 but she'd have to offer me a great deal for me to take her up on it.
As for right now, I'm just trying to put it all together and practice some of the things I've learned. I'm currently trying to help a close friend treat cancer on her dog. She can't afford the treatment and she can't bring herself to put the dog down. I made a tincture of polkroot and gave her a 2 oz dropper bottle. Hoping for the best. The dog is doing fine, but keeps having nose bleeds, so I have to look up something to control bleeding. I can think of something right off hand, but it might cause constipation, so I will try to find an astringent, which is also an anti-tumor herb.....kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak.