NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are awesome birds, my friend has some. Very friendly, great layers.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My production reds are good layers and friendly but they won't make much of a meal when their laying days are over. Large, brown hardshell eggs, 5 pullets are keeping us in eggs most of the time. One cochin mix seems to be laying pretty good too. I want to get a dark cornish rooster for size. I'm hoping to bring it into a self-sustaining mix of eggs and meat birds eventually. I still want some Dixie Rainbow pullets for size and eggs. Hopefully at least one or two of my girls will turn broody someday. It doesn't look likely however. I do have one pullet that's been sort of looking out for my little New Hampshire's. Now the NH are filling out nicely but I'm thinking they are probably cockerels from the looks of them. I bought them as pullets from someone.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would get some too if I wasn't overwhelmed with breeds now!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would get some too if I wasn't overwhelmed with breeds now!
I know! I found myself on the Ideal Poultry site last night.... YIKES! But, I want some more guineas....and maybe some dark Cornish...

Has anybody here ever had any Buckeyes? I think they're beautiful birds!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Guineas are a little much for me, lol!

I've got two dark cornish chicks right now, eager to see how they do. They're my husband's project but they are interesting birds.

Never had buckeyes. I don't even know anything about them, really.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Has anybody here ever had any Buckeyes? I think they're beautiful birds!
A friend of mine bred Buckeyes for years. They are wonderful birds, if you can get good stock. Very friendly, good layers, good meat birds, great with and for kids. I'd have got some myself if he didn't stop breeding them. Getting eggs imported is a huge hassle and I don't want to get from just anyone.

I'm considering getting some White Face Spanish since they are nearly extinct over here, or a rare British breed. Still thinking…

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh that would be really cool! They are such interesting looking birds. I don't know much about them but I've seen them in a hatchery catalog.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They are amazing looking birds and so rare here, which makes them very tempting.

Two years ago I bumped into (literally) an Ayam Cemani and her breeder at the Cork Summer Show. She went on to win Reserve Champion of the show and he offered me 6 hatching eggs for €50. Tempting!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
an Ayam Cemani
Those are so unique! (and just a little bit creepy, lol) :hide

upload_2017-5-21_7-42-15.png

Latest posts