hey from Va.

LarryW

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
looking to replace nasty cardboard boxes for storing canning jars. Lots of jars.

We try to be self sufficient as much as possible.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are you talking about storing the empty ones, or the filled ones, or both? I read about one person who takes the cardboard boxes they come in and paints them with melted paraffin to extend the life of the boxes.

LarryW

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
storing empty jars. I found a link , but when i tried to click to see the pics nothing happened. The post is from 2012 but shouldn't the pics be available since the text part is? I want to see what other have done so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. Thanks for the response.

DIY wooden crates for storing canning jars

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Nowadays I just put them back on the shelf from whence they came. Since usually all my jars are full each season, I'm not storing many empties. When I use a jar, I just move the filled jars up to take its place and place the empty in the back when washed.

If I have more jars than I have shelf space, then I make more storage/shelf space. If I can't, then there's no reason to keep extra jars.

:welcome Glad you came!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What a unique idea! Probably not what you're looking for but so cool!

Photo credit to Pinterest and theownerbuildernetwork.com

fe33f6bb2cda8f70d19c4df217ff7af7.jpg

Photo credit to Pinterest and theownerbuildernetwork.co

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would worry myself sick over that

I was thinking the same thing. Accidentally bump that and jars come crashing to the floor. I can't imagine why one wouldn't just put up shelves where those metal thingies are and set the jars on a shelf...takes up the same space but a lot cheaper and more secure, plus it would utilize the space that is currently being wasted between the jar hangers.

I'm thinking this was a guy with a lot of time and money on his hands, some shop tools he was dying to try out and a whole lot of overthinking things.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm thinking: The weight! The weight! Peg board is not the sturdiest stuff in the world! Pretty, sure, but IMO not terribly practical over the long term.

My big issue is that I don't have a place with stable temps. I find that when my filled jars have big temp fluctuation, the lids are always plinking. The seals never break, but this is worrisome to me. I'm now storing them in my "office" against the wall which is furthest from the heat source (usually wood stove, but the office also has a duct from forced air furnace. I keep that vent closed and covered.) Much less plinking in this location.

Since I'm always collecting empty jars for future canning efforts, I do have lots of extras to store. Always on the look out for boxes from the grocer to recycle for jar storage. When a jar goes into storage, I try to always have a lid or plastic over it so it doesn't get dusty inside.

I recycle my lids, and recycle jars and lids from the grocery store. Lids get carefully washed and stored for next use. I place an extra layer of protection over the lid when I open it wo the can opener doesn't ding it. My son bought me a set of Tattlers to trial. Looking forward to using those.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Since I'm always collecting empty jars for future canning efforts, I do have lots of extras to store. Always on the look out for boxes from the grocer to recycle for jar storage. When a jar goes into storage, I try to always have a lid or plastic over it so it doesn't get dusty inside.

We just store ours upside down. Going to be washing those things really good anyway when next we can, so we don't do more than turn them upside down.

I remember when my mother used to just store hers out on a hillside, open side pointing downward so they wouldn't fill with water, freeze and break. Those were jars we had to soak, wash, soak, and wash again in order to use. :D

LG, I'd think your basement wouldn't have too much fluctuation of temps, would it? I store ours out in the pantry/mud room, which doesn't exactly have a heat source, nor is it cooled in the summer. I keep the door to it cracked a tiny bit to allow enough heat in the winter so the jars won't freeze, but there's a pretty good fluctuation in temps in that room throughout the year and even from morning to evening and my jars do alright.

I do cover that nearby window to darken it and also hang an insulated curtain in front of the shelf to keep out the light, though.