hey from Va.

canesisters

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What's the general opinion about stacking filled jars with cardboard between layers?
I've heard that it's perfectly fine - others say it's a death sentence.

9.9.18.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
What's the general opinion about stacking filled jars with cardboard between layers?

View attachment 9475

That sure is pretty, Cane! I wouldn't do it with qt. jars but have done so temporarily with pts. I've heard down through the years of folks who had jar seals fail from stacking jars one on another, even with a layer of cardboard. Those jars are mighty heavy.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

View attachment 9475

Nice work there. I would add a ledge in case the Earth decides to shake a little and also more shelves. Wife about had a cow when I stacked full jars on top of each other. Said you can't do that! I was living in NC when that last earth quake hit somewhere in northern VA man the telephone poles we're swaying.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, the basement has a LOT of fluctuation. It's COLD there most of the winter. But, during a cold snap, we have to turn the pellet stove on to keep the water pipes from freezing. Then it warms up quite a bit. Same when the forced air furnace runs. We may go several days without running the furnace. But, when the furnace DOES run, the ducts in the family room will raise the temp in there by about 20 - 40 degrees. Outside the family room, it can get below freezing, so no storing of jarred goods there!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I wash my empty jars, I normally set them in a cardboad box which has had a big plastic trash bag put in it. I twist the bag so that the jars are covered to keep them clean. I mark the box with what's in it --8 w/mouth, 6 jelly, etc. These boxes are stacked with empty jars. When ready, get ones I need & run through dishwasher to rewash & heat.

I have a large walk-in closet in my dressing/shower room which is on the outside wall, keeping the door shut it gets pretty cool in there as there is no vent in that closet. Easily 45-60 maintained, unless I leave the door open. Since I rarely use it for more than storage anymore (2nd closet in bedroom works) it's mostly dark, has built in shelving plus a couple portable units under the hang rod area. Even keep large pots, canners, & extra paper products in there. I do not stack full jars on jars.

Heavy cardboard boxes for empties is best I do. Works well. Easy to replace, also. Of course I work where I get ample boxes when needed.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The problem with stacking the filled jars is that if a jar loses its seal for some reason, the jar on top keeps the lid in contact with the jar. If it later seals again (which can happen with fluctuating temps) you will not know that the seal was breached for a time... could be dangerous.