Hi all!! Newbie here!

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome Kala!:D Sounds like you are going to have a great time, if not a lot of work to do! Getting all the animals at once is a lot to handle, so I suggest you start out with just one type. And do your research first! I see so many people who go out and get a bunch of chickens, then don't have a clue what to do with them when they get home. They don't have a coop ready or anything!

We all try to do a little something to be more SS, but you don't have to go nuts and try to do everything. The SS lifestyle is great for part-time work. I am a substitute teacher, and I lived off the grid, with chickens and a big garden, etc for 8 years. It is REALLY hard to be completely SS and work fulltime. It takes way more time to make your own cheese than to just buy it at the store!

Ma Ingalls in Little House definitely couldn't have done all that she did with a full time job!

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Woo hoo!! Got it! Thanks all!

Yea I'm trying to control myself and start SLOW. Luckily we do both have experience with gardening, animals etc (just not to the extent that we're hoping to eventually get to) so we're not completely green. Lol. I just have to keep reminding myself that I can't start everything at once. We have everything mapped out now and are just waiting for the ground to finally unthaw so we can fix old cage wiring and add new and start getting some dirt under our nails. :weee

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not yet. But that's first on our list once we get the coop and boxes ready. I was kind of thinking of Delawares possibly to have a dual purpose chicken that still seems to have decent foraging skills. I've found a couple of hatcheries that have them. But no concrete decisions yet.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
oooooohhhhhh!!!!!!! Is that your house in your pic? Awesome!! I'm jealous.
Yeppers!! We feel in LOVE when we saw it! There's just so much history to it. Now that we live here I can't imagine being happy in a "new" house. I've been trying to comb local records to see if I can find info about previous owners, etc. It's been very interesting bringing our "modern lives" into it. It's really helped me realize the neccesities vs the luxuries.

lilrevdeb

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Deb and I just found this site and lovin it . It will take me awhile to get everything read but will enjoy everything I'm sure. Just a little about me...I am currently living in town but looking to a move somewhere in Kentucky within the next 4 years. I've been downsizing and looking to be more self reliant. This is something I've been working on for about 3 years now but won't be finacially able to make the big move for about 4 years as I mentioned. Looking forward to getting to know as many of you as possible.