Hi Everyone! :)

cluckmecoop7

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all! :frow

I'm new here, and I'm looking forward to having a lot of fun and enjoying this community. :celebrate I already belong to BackYardChickens and BackYardHerds, so I thought I'd check out this place too! The main reason I joined is because I want to find out all about preparing for a emergency. Like, what if the power suddenly goes out? Or maybe...well, lots of things can happen, I know that. But, I need to learn a lot more! Right now, I own a flock of chickens and have two pet fish inside my house. I really want to get a cow or a few pigs, too. :) I'm sure I'll love this site! (I found out you guys have animal section!!! :ya)
I also have quite of bit of experience with dogs and cats. Oh - and just call me Clucky.

- Clucky

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think all of us strive towards being more SS and not depending on the grocery store. Many of us raise our own meat and vegetables. We still purchase things, some of us by necessity shop for the best deals on groceries, then can, freeze or dehydrate the proceeds.

While it would not a lot of fun if a SHTF situation arose, we would be better prepared for it than 90% of the population. I sure would miss air conditioning! LOL

Welcome to the forum, we’ll have you doing all sorts of things in no time! I just turned off the pressure canner on quarts of dog food-chicken backs, necks, livers, gizzards, hearts and rice. The dogs love the stuff!

PatriciaPNW

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I’m new here too. I really like learning from others and sometimes it’s information I never knew I needed until I read it! I left another website because too many posters couldn’t resist political digs and I haven’t seen that here - just friendly help and interesting posts. Welcome!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome. My mantra is: If everyone who COULD... WOULD...

Grow a garden, and learn how to preserve the food you produce. Grow extra for your neighbors and friends, as well as for your animals.

Keep a flock of chickens. If you have the space and can do so, keep a rooster so you can breed your own replacement birds. Learn how to process the extra birds, cockerels, and old birds.

Re-use, re-purpose, re-cycle. Discern the difference between a need, desire, and want. Always spend less than you earn.

If we all did this, our government would be turned on it's ear: being faced with a country full of independent (in both behavior and thinking) individuals who can take care of themselves and are not dependent on hand outs from big brother.

Our nation's economy would experience a huge change, because folks would become debt free, therefore not dependent on government, and not as willing to give away their rights.