Hi Everyone! :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You will find this forum is sometimes like a party, where sometimes a statement or reply gleans a few "random topic" replies. :lol:

We are also avid enablers....mention & we will encourage, well if it means buying an animal (or three). Or tractor, new fence, build a barn, a greenhouse....get the picture? :idunno

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You will find this forum is sometimes like a party, where sometimes a statement or reply gleans a few "random topic" replies. :lol:

We are also avid enablers....mention & we will encourage, well if it means buying an animal (or three). Or tractor, new fence, build a barn, a greenhouse....get the picture? :idunno

i am used to TEG which can be equally rambunctious and tangentious! i love it all. :) i like talking to people about gardening. it is hard to stop me. and then don't get me started on either worms or beans two of my favorite topics. :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i am used to TEG which can be equally rambunctious and tangentious! i love it all. :) i like talking to people about gardening. it is hard to stop me. and then don't get me started on either worms or beans two of my favorite topics. :)

YOu are in very good company. Doing any vermicomposting? they are really the easiest "pets" to take care of! Beans... tried Fortex pole? Fantastic variety. We've had a number of killing frosts, and even yesterday, I spied a few pods that were begging to be picked, in spite of all outer leaves being blackened by frost! I get excited when talking about Winter gardening, soil and poop!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
YOu are in very good company. Doing any vermicomposting? they are really the easiest "pets" to take care of! Beans... tried Fortex pole? Fantastic variety. We've had a number of killing frosts, and even yesterday, I spied a few pods that were begging to be picked, in spite of all outer leaves being blackened by frost! I get excited when talking about Winter gardening, soil and poop!

i keep 12 buckets in this room for the worm composting and studies in rotting that i do. i have been doing this for almost 10yrs now. i got as high as 17 buckets one year but that was too much, my room is cluttered enough as it is...

they make fantastically easy pets - by the end of the winter when i get ready to put most of them out into the gardens each bucket will have between 10-20 thousand worms.

i have planted Fortex the first time this year and alas they have not done well due to the combination of being blown off the fence too many times and not the best location. i don't even know if there are any seeds to be found yet. i planted about 50 different kinds of beans this year. my room is pretty full right now of box tops of drying beans. by far my favorite bean of the past two years is one called Purple Dove. i verified this year that it is an excellent fresh bean for the first few pickings and then the rest can be left for dry beans and those are very mild flavored and creamy in texture. it is not a good fresh canning bean but i don't like canned beans anyways. we eat a lot of cooked dry beans. lima beans as shellies or cooked from dried beans are another type we like a lot. i'm always expanding my list of varieties and have a large number of unique cross breeds too which take time to evaluate properly when i have limited space.

i don't have a camera at the moment, but the bean page has pictures of some of the beans i've been growing:

once i get a camera again i hope to be taking much better pictures with more consistent lighting and zoom - it is hard to really do some of those colors/patterns/textures justice in a picture, but i'll keep on trying. :)