Hi from Maine!

MaineChick218

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, and live in central-ish Maine. I've got about 2.5 acres here, 8 hens and a rooster, a dog and 2 cats, and a 25x30ft garden for veggies. We plan on extending the garden a bit this year, and I really want to try some low tunnels to extend the growing season ( lord knows we need it in Maine!) I also like to make my own anything! I just made my first successful batch of yogurt!

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome
I am going to try making yogurt since our goat is supplying us with milk. What method did you use? I am undecided wether to use the crock pot or heat pad.
Nancy

MaineChick218

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi Nancy! I made the yogurt using a warm oven. I turned it on low (200 degrees) for about 5 minutes and then turned it off. I also left the light on- the kept it warm enough for about 6 hours- I turned it on for about 10 seconds and turned it back off again, and it was enough heat for the rest of the time! What kind of goats do you have? I'd love to eventually have a few nigerian dwarfs!

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have Nubians. She had kids in February, so this milking thing is all new to me. It's cool though cause now I have lots of milk to make stuff with.

MaineChick218

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
That's really neat! Are you drinking the milk? How is the taste difference as compared with cow's milk? I know a lady around here who makes and sells yogurt- cow and goat- but I've never tried the goat!

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, we are not using cow milk any more. I really can't tell a difference in the taste.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
mrscoyote said:
Yes, we are not using cow milk any more. I really can't tell a difference in the taste.
That's good to know. I've heard of people complaining about the taste of the goat's milk B4. Wonder if they were just expecting it to taste different.

:welcome A word of warning-this site is addictive.

MaineChick218

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have read that what the goats eat can cause a difference in taste...more weeds and such make a stronger taste I guess??

I see that this site can be addicting! I am a big fan of the backyardchickens website, and have made some great friends there!