Hi from New Zealand

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello from Missouri, the show me state.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome! My son has been to Vanuatu! I loved hearing his stories about his experience while there. If I could travel any where in the world, it would be to visit NZ or Australia. I'm in central Maine, Growing zone 4B. Ground frozen Nov through mid April. So... we're quite opposite from you in both weather and location!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas. it gets hot here in summer! We live in East Texas, heavy forest land, open pastures, cattle and agriculture. It's fun to have members from around the world!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you loose chickens to heat stroke? I've had birds overheat, with resultant electrolyte imbalance, even here, in Maine. One late spring, I noticed my 8 week old chicks stumbling around. I realized that I myself was a bit dizzy from working outside on the warm day (though it wasn't even up to 80*F). I came in, tanked up on water, made some electrolyte solution, gave some to the adults, chicks, saved some for me. Within 1/2 hour, the chicks were back to their perky selves.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It will be nice hearing about your garden growing while ours are at the end of our year. I've got the last of my peppers to pull in tonight, and house plants to move inside. We're expecting a killer frost tonight.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have tried so many times to grow peppers-capsicums but havent been all that successful. Chilies on the other hand seem to do okay.

We have another 3 weeks where we can get the last frost for the year. Because it has been such a warm winter, I dont expect it to happen.

As promised, here are some pics of my place. The first one is from the other side of my driveway, looking at two of the trees my nana grew from seed and gave to me in 1996. Apple and Christmas plumView attachment 12555
Second one is looking up the driveway as it goes up alonside the house.View attachment 12557
This one is from my parking area looking towards the courtyard. The paving is what got done this week because I was fed up with the weeds growing along there.View attachment 12559
This is the courtyard, its bit messy at the moment and looks fantastic when the wind anenomes are flowering up against the water tank. I just planted a Banana behind the Oak leaved Papaya. Should have enough shelter there to do okay. Its been in a planter bag a bit too long.

View attachment 12560
Turning left we come to the paved sloped path I did last summer/autumn. The new bee hive is on the garden at a flat section of the path View attachment 12561 This one is the back lawn looking towards the original bee hive. I have a shade clothe over the roof cos it upsets me when get stuck on the roof when its raining. The next one is looking from a mound of dirt I asked my neighbour to drop over the hedge when he was excavating for his workshop...supposed to have removed the grass layer first, but

View attachment 12564View attachment 12569View attachment 12555View attachment 12557View attachment 12559View attachment 12560View attachment 12561View attachment 12562View attachment 12564View attachment 12569View attachment 12557View attachment 12555

looks great to me, plenty to keep you busy and well fed. :)