Hi from New Zealand

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would be concerned that it might have heavy metal or other contaminants. Even if it is the old fashioned kind, and unscented.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This one sounds pretty good:

Special Kitty Natural Clay Cat Litter, Unscented, 25 lbs:
  • Long lasting odour control
  • 99% dust free
  • Made from 100% natural ground clay
  • Bag contains 25 pounds of cat litter
  • Highly absorbent

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
heavy metals/radioactive cat litter

an interesting web page by the Oak Ridge Associated Universities that discusses cat litter and the fact that it is slightly radioactive. Some cat litter is slightly radioactive because the contain bentonite clay, which contains small amounts of radioactive uranium (238U), thorium (232U), and potassium (40K). I find this web page interesting because it includes measured radiation data and an estimate of the heavy metals (uranium and thorium) that are contained in cat litter.

https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/consumer products/catlitter.htm

Most cat litter is made from clay (e.g., bentonite) that acts as an absorbent. Since clay typically contains elevated levels of naturally-occurring radionuclides, large amounts of cat litter can be measurably radioactive. Shipments of cat litter have been known to trip radiation monitors.

I would not be placing any cat litter of any kind in or near my garden.

mischief

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think you are on the right track, adding organic matter to your soil. Everything that I've read says that adding clay is counterproductive. Clay + sand + water = cement. You might look into ordering some wine cap mushroom spawn. I bought some about 3 years ago, and they have naturalized here and there in my orchard and garden. They can be grown on wood chips, sawdust or straw.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.mofga.org/portals/2/mof%26g/SON%2017/15-Wine-cap-or-king-stropharia-300x400px.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.mofga.org/Publications/The-Maine-Organic-Farmer-Gardener/Fall-2017/Three-Mushrooms-for-the-Farm-and-Homestead&tbnid=bmu1P9Im5h3ubM&vet=12ahUKEwiuoP2zwuDlAhVRneAKHQNeD2EQMyguegUIARCnAQ..i&docid=zn0-m2V3h8ATUM&w=300&h=400&q=wine cap mushroom&ved=2ahUKEwiuoP2zwuDlAhVRneAKHQNeD2EQMyguegUIARCnAQ
I promised the person that I have been getting my mushroom bags from, that I would not grow non native species that could cross with our native ones.
I was told that the Burgandy- whatever else its called, is a native and I hope it is because I also think we need to try to keep our native plans pure....okay, that sounds a bit racist,but......if everything is mixed up with everything else I cant see how that does us any good. It might not even matter in the long run, but I see his point.

I hope this works on a lot of different levels.
Getting another layer, permaculture speaking, added to the mix.
Increasing the vitality of the soil community
Another protein source for me and Jack.
Better water retention- less waste of valuable resources
Healthier plants growing healthier crops

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think you are on the right track, adding organic matter to your soil. Everything that I've read says that adding clay is counterproductive. Clay + sand + water = cement.

note, i said a LITTLE clay. it makes a lot of difference in small amounts.

it makes no sense to me to work to amend a garden soil that is primarily sand with organic material if most of the benefit of those organic materials will be leaching away. clay holds moisture and nutrients and it also encourages worms (the largest worm species around here will not be found in primarily sandy soil, they like some clay too).

if you've never actually done comparisons between sand and other blends i suggest you do so.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You know, I always dreamed of living in the middle of a forest clearing...in a Wizards tower....oh well, back to reality.

I've been promising myself one of those fancy weather stations so that i can find out what exactly is going on with our weather, but so far, thats as far as I got.
What I have been doing over the last couple of years is adding as much carbon to the soil, either in it or on top of it, as I possibly can. Its volcanic silt type soil, so very free draining and just gobbles up organic matter.
I have come to the conclusion after years of adding lawn clippings, that my soil need more brown stuff, ie, carbon.

Today, I cleared the next couple of paths, levelled them and laid weed mat down so nothing can grow over them while I get to my next priority= pave the path in front of the courtyard gate and sow the next lot of seeds.

My sweet corn is coming along nicely, but I managed to cook my cauliflower and broccolli seedlings yesterday, so I am going to have to resow them. I forgot to take off the cover and we had a scorchingly hot day so they all fried and died.
The upside is that the eggplant seedlings just love it and sprung up wonderfully.
Hello!!! I know that would be very difficult, I always ask for assistance when I tried to clean ours... :D:D:D:D